[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS Multitaskers

spectre@cisunx.UUCP (Robert Sillett) (07/09/88)

Hello netland!

I am planning to purchase a multitasking program for my PC clone
in the very near future.  I have decided to get either DESQview or
MS Windows.  The problem that I now face is which one to get.
The only experience I have with either of these is the old Windows
version 1.xx, which was pretty much useless.  I understand that
2.xx is supposed to be much better.  Presently I am strongly leaning
toward DESQview since Quarterdeck claims that it will run on
virtually any system, 8088/80286, with 640kB and EMS/EEMS as an option.

Presently I have a PC compatible (Tandy 1000 SX) with 640kB and a
30MB hard drive.  I know that the processes will be painfully slow,
so please don't give me the "get a 286 line" -- I have to manage
with my present system.  I won't be able to get EEMS until at least
Christmas, so I know that I should be able to get 2 processes up --
not much more.

To come to the point --> which is the better, DESQview or Windows 2.xx?
I'm going to be running the beast under 640kB for a while.  The
main programs that I'll be running are Opus, Turbo Pascal, and
Microsoft FORTRAN.

Please e-mail suggestions & I'll save and summerize to the net.

Thank you.

--
Robert L. Sillett, Jr.                      spectre@cisunx
University of Pittsburgh                    spectre@pittvms.BITNET

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/13/88)

In article <10903@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:

| I am planning to purchase a multitasking program for my PC clone
| in the very near future.

  I like DESQview better than windows, but you mentioned staying at
640k. If you don't have some expanded memory you probably won't like
either, as they both will use quite a bit of memory.

  I'm told that DoubleDOS will do what you want, and in a smaller
package. Could someone comment on this, as the only version I have used
was the first release, and buggy as hell.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (07/13/88)

In article <10904@cisunx.UUCP>, spectre@cisunx.UUCP (Robert Sillett) writes:
> I am planning to purchase a multitasking program for my PC clone
> in the very near future.  I have decided to get either DESQview or
> MS Windows.  The problem that I now face is which one to get.
> To come to the point --> which is the better, DESQview or Windows 2.xx?

Get DESQview.  Windows 2.0 doesn't multitask non-windows applications very
well (hardly at all).  Certainly, something like procomm would bomb the
window.  On a 386 with virtual 86 mode, you can get most programs to
work but not all (believe me, I have one and both DESQview and Windows386).

DESQview does an ok job on any computer.  I have successfully multitasked
on my AT&T 6300.  I have yet to find a multitasking system that will allow
applications to share a mouse.  There are others that I have not tried:
WendinDOS, VM386 come to mind.  Anybody have experience with these?

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) (07/13/88)

If you are going to use this to multitask DOS apps, then by all means go with
DESQview.  MSWindows is at its best when its running apps written for it; it
isn't really that good on DOS apps.

--Bill Turner

gas@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Guerry A. Semones) (07/14/88)

My advice is to check out Desqview.  NOTE: I have NEVER used Desqview
and so this is NOT an endorsement.  BUT, I have used Windows (v.1 and 2)
and do not recommend Windows for the following reasons:
1. You cannot run NON-Windows programs within a window.  Turbo Pascal
MIGHT work, but if you compile any program that does screen I/O it
would probably blast Windows and hang the system.  That's no good.
If your application is NON-Windows, then windows switches itself out
of RAM, clears the screen and brings up your application.  This will
effectively cancel out easy-taskswitching and definately rules out
multitasking of any type.  Desqview on the other hand will allow any
compatible program (well-behaved) run in a window and be multitasked.
Windows is really for people with Windows applications.
2. Desqview will probably make better use of you EMS.  Note *probably*.

Again, not an endorsement as much as a be careful about Windows.
--
 Guerry A. Semones              BITNET: drogo@tucc.BITNET
 Information Services           USENET: gas@ecsvax.UUCP, semones@dukeac.UUCP

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (07/14/88)

concurrent dos XM is worth a look, too...

PC magazine recently rated Concurrent 386, which runs just like
concurrent dos XM...

bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) (07/14/88)

	I have used Desqview, Windows, Gem, Doubledos, and the PD programs
Hotdos and Tripdos.  The only ones that do a reasonable job of multitasking are
Windows and Desqview.  Windows works only with windows-based applications, but
Desqview will work with almost anything.  It will run them in a window, or full
screen, and multitask either way.  I often run Zmodem in the background, while
I do something else.  In short, I strongly recommend Desqview, but it will be
slow on a 8088 machine.  Program swapping is almost instantaneous if you have
a Ramdisk in expanded (EMS) memory, too.

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (07/14/88)

>In article <10903@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:
>
>| I am planning to purchase a multitasking program for my PC clone
>| in the very near future.

If you want a REAL multi-user, multi-tasker, you want QNX.  As a bonus, you
get networking built-in (though it requires purchasing network cards and
multi-node licenses).  To the user, it looks a lot like UNIX.  PC-DOS can
run as a guest task under QNX.  Lots of other bennies, too.

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14652-4201
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (07/14/88)

In article <2626@bgsuvax.UUCP> bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) writes:
}I do something else.  In short, I strongly recommend Desqview, but it will be
}slow on a 8088 machine.  Program swapping is almost instantaneous if you have
}a Ramdisk in expanded (EMS) memory, too.

An 8088 is a little underpowered for DESQview, but Windows would be even
worse because it runs in graphics mode.  Program swapping is unneccessary if
you have EEMS memory, as DESQview will task-switch among more than 640K of
programs, something Windows can't do.  In addition, the equivalent of the new
Windows 2.10 driver to use 50K of exTENDed memory on 286 and 386 machines has
been available to DESQview users for over a year.  I'm typing from a machine
running 60K of DESQview in exTENDed RAM since last July.
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (07/14/88)

In article <5404@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, gas@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Guerry A. Semones)
> 1. You cannot run NON-Windows programs within a window.

 You can run non-Windows applications in a window if they can be set up
 to do BIOS writes rather than direct screen writes. Can Desqview really
 window stuff that bypasses the BIOS? I can't think of any any handy
 way to intercept the writes to the display memory on a non-386 based
 machine. Of course I'm not a hacker when it comes to my PC.

 I do agree that if your primary goal is to multi-task non-Windows
 applications, then Desqview is probably a better choice.
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, Fl 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {cbosgd!codas,uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!joel (4078501040)

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (07/15/88)

In article <3614@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.UUCP writes:
}In article <5404@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, gas@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Guerry A. Semones)
} to do BIOS writes rather than direct screen writes. Can Desqview really
} window stuff that bypasses the BIOS? I can't think of any any handy
} way to intercept the writes to the display memory on a non-386 based
} machine. Of course I'm not a hacker when it comes to my PC.

While DESQview can't intercept direct writes on less than a 386, more and more
programs are DESQview-aware.  Any program which writes directly to screen
memory has to determine where the screen memory is and store that value away
somewhere.  By adding ten lines of assembler or equivalent HLL code, it is
possible to make the program write into DESQview's shadow buffer, which can
then be windowed.

There is even a small TSR available that helps in patching in
DESQview-awareness.  You change (with DEBUG) the actual instruction that
loads the screen address into an interrupt call, and the TSR replaces the
value with DESQview's buffer.