[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HelpPlease: Device Drivers for hard disk partitions

ab@Ist.UUCP (07/11/88)

After a disastrous hard disk corruption, I want to minimise the
effects of any future recurrence by partitioning the disk and
making each partition into a logical volume - eg D: E: F: G:

I know that some manufacturers have their own (copyright) device drivers
to let you do this (and get past the 32meg limit?). However, before
I reinvent the wheel, i would appreciate it if anyone in NetLand who
has already written such a driver (or similar) and are prepared to share
it (or lessons learned), would mail me.

many thanks

Andy Bartlett (ab@ist.co.uk)

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (07/14/88)

In article <1790@ist.Ist.CO.UK> ab@Ist.CO.UK (Andrew Bartlett) writes:

>After a disastrous hard disk corruption, I want to minimise the
>effects of any future recurrence by partitioning the disk and
>making each partition into a logical volume - eg D: E: F: G:

The most satisfactory way of doing this, and one which would keep you
compatible now and in the future (with DOS *and* OS/2), would be to switch
to MS-DOS 3.30, the first MS release which fully supports disk partitioning.

We, like many clone manufacturers, modified Dos 3.2x to support this
feature, but, as you would expect, our partitioning is not fully compatible
with the method later chosen by IBM/MS for 3.30.  A conversion from a
pre-3.30 partitioning scheme to the new 3.30, requires that the disk be
backed up, reformatted and partitioned, then the contents restored.

As far as partitions >32Meg, I expect you won't have to wait too long
(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more)!

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!{philabs, mnetor}!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (07/15/88)

<>
<
<As far as partitions >32Meg, I expect you won't have to wait too long
<(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more)!

You're right, you don't have to wait long.  Check with your local computer
store and pick up a copy of Compaq's MS-DOS 3.31.  It supports the PC-DOS
logical partitioning and the new (max) 512 MB partitions.  Supposidly PC-DOS
3.4 will include the 512 MB partitioning code.
--
	       harvard-\	att!terminus--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown