[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC/XT 286-based accelerator opinions wanted

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (07/14/88)

I am thinking about buying a 286-based accelerator board for my
Taiwanese turbo.

My system has an 8-MHz NEC V-20 CPU.  The clock speed is software-
switchable to either 4.77 or 8 MHz.  The RAM chips are 150-nsec.

The accelerator I am currently thinking of is the "Orchid Tiny Turbo
286" -- a half-sized card unit with room to add an 80287 coprocessor.

One feature of this board which appeals to me is that it has a socket
for your original CPU chip -- and a little toggle switch accessible from
the back of the computer which lets you select either the 286 or your
original CPU.  The Orchid also claims to be usable at either 5 (I assume
they really mean 4.77) or 8 MHz.

Does anyone out there who is using (or has tried) the Orchid Tiny Turbo
286 know whether it can in fact be used in an 8-MHz turbo XT?  Would I
be able to drive it at the 8 MHz clock speed?  Even at the standard 4.77
MHz speed, how much faster is it going to be than my current NEC V-20
system at 8 MHz?  Would I have to replace my 150-nsec RAM chips with
120's (or faster?) in order for an accelerator to be worth the expense?

Is this particular accelerator board a good one?  I am very open to
suggestions of better (faster and/or more reliable) units.  The Orchid
is currently selling for $290 at Egghead -- though I assume I can find
a lower price if I shop around a bit.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
   "We would all become unpeople, undoing unthings untogether."

adam@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Adam R. Iles) (07/15/88)

In article <14382@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>My system has an 8-MHz NEC V-20 CPU.  The clock speed is software-
>switchable to either 4.77 or 8 MHz.  The RAM chips are 150-nsec.

>The accelerator I am currently thinking of is the "Orchid Tiny Turbo
>286" -- a half-sized card unit with room to add an 80287 coprocessor.

A week ago I purchased just such a card for a similar setup (except
I'm using a 8088-2 and it's not software switchable.)  The documentation,
however, SUGGESTS that you DON'T use it with a turbo system or a 8088-2,
V-20 or several other replacement chips.  This card comes with an 80286
and an 8K cache on an 16 bit bus (to the 80286.)

>the back of the computer which lets you select either the 286 or your
>original CPU.  The Orchid also claims to be usable at either 5 (I assume
>they really mean 4.77) or 8 MHz.

This is reffering to the 80287 not the 8088 or equivilent :-( which
leaves you with only the 4.77 Mhz bus.

>Does anyone out there who is using (or has tried) the Orchid Tiny Turbo
>286 know whether it can in fact be used in an 8-MHz turbo XT?  Would I
>be able to drive it at the 8 MHz clock speed?  Even at the standard 4.77
>MHz speed, how much faster is it going to be than my current NEC V-20
>system at 8 MHz?  Would I have to replace my 150-nsec RAM chips with
>120's (or faster?) in order for an accelerator to be worth the expense?

I haven't had much time to test the board thuroughly, but it seems to
run fine at 4.77 MHz, but it won't run at 8 Mhz at all.  Since I don't
have a V-20 in my machine I can't compare it to the V-20, but it seems
to run some programs at upto 4X as fast as the 8088-2 (at 4.77 Mhz.)
One thing to remember is that the Tiny Turbo is still going through
the 4.77 Mhz 8-bit bus so disk accesses and memory fetches outside
the cache will be as slow as a regualar PC.  If you run programs that
execute a lot of tight loops and aren't I/O intensive it should do
a good job at improving their performance, though.

>-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
>   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
>   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
>   "We would all become unpeople, undoing unthings untogether."

Adam Iles -- adam@utgpu
	  -- adam@vm1.utcs.utoronto.ca

All comments above do not necessarily reflect the beliefs or opinions
of any person alive or otherwise.
--

        Any opinions stated above may, or may not, refect those
        of any sane person living, dead, or just sleeping.

       Adam R. Iles:	adam@utgpu

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (07/16/88)

In article <14382@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> I wrote the following:

	I am thinking about buying a 286-based accelerator
	board for my Taiwanese turbo.

	My system has an 8-MHz NEC V-20 CPU.  The clock speed
	is software-switchable to either 4.77 or 8 MHz.  The
	RAM chips are 150-nsec.

	The accelerator I am currently thinking of is the
	"Orchid Tiny Turbo 286" -- a half-sized card unit with
	room to add an 80287 coprocessor.

I just got off the phone with a technical support person from Orchid.
She says -- very emphatically -- that the Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 *ABSO-
LUTELY WILL NOT WORK AT ALL* on a dual-speed NEC V-20 system.  It
*MUST*, she says, be an 8088-based system running at 4.77 MHz *ONLY*.

I was unable to get any intelligible explanation as to just why the
Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 wouldn't work in my system.  I asked, what if I
kept the clock speed at 4.77 MHz all the time -- and the Orchid person
said that wouldn't matter, their card still wouldn't work for me.

She said that Orchid has another product -- the Twin Turbo 12 -- that
does work OK in a dual-speed V-20 system.

I also talked with a technical support person from AST Research, about
their Hot Shot/286 accelerator card.  Same story -- AST says their Hot
Shot/286 *WILL NOT WORK* on a V-20 system; *ONLY* on an 8088 system.
And again, no intelligible reason given; just that it won't work.

I suppose my only feasible upgrade route may turn out to be to get an
AT clone motherboard (something I'm not sure I'm prepared to do right
now; and please don't flood me with "why not?"s).  But let me ask again:

Has anyone out there had any first-hand experience with 286-based
accelerator boards for PC/XT systems?

Can anyone offer a sensible explanation as to why an accelerator board
built for the 8088 would not work on a dual-speed NEC V-20 system --
even assuming that the clock was *always* run at 4.77 MHz whenever the
accelerator board was being used?