[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Needed: a dummy device driver

lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (07/15/88)

Hi.  I've been wishing for some time that I had a "dummy" device driver
which I could throw in my CONFIG.SYS to use up a disk-drive letter.  Why?
Well, I like to create a logical drive D: and SUBST it to one of my sub-
directories.  Trouble arises if I wand to use a RAM disk or some such be-
cause the driver for that wants to grab the D: identifier.  At the moment,
I'm using DRIVER.SYS to create a dummy block device D: which I later over-
ride with my SUBST command.  It works, but it seems a waste of memory.
Anybody got such a thing or heard of one or is inspired to create one?
Any tips/contributions much appreciated.

--
John Wright      //////////////////      Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA  B3H-4H8

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (07/17/88)

In article <2950@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>Well, I like to create a logical drive D: and SUBST it to one of my sub-
>directories.  Trouble arises if I wand to use a RAM disk or some such be-
>cause the driver for that wants to grab the D: identifier.

Why not do as I do, and use Z:?  Set LASTDRIVE=Z in your config.sys, and
off you go.  Chances that you'll ever have 26 block storage devices on
your system are fairly slim, methinks.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate