[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Heavy Duty Printers

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (07/08/88)

I remember seeing a review of a printer which had a wide carriage and
3 or 4 heads.  It was built for churning out long jobs.  Does anybody
remember seeing something like this (and who makes it)?  I'm looking
for a printer to print an 11,000-12,000 name mailing list on 4-up
labels.  Anything that's very fast (and won't jam) could do the job,
so if you have any other ideas, drop me a line.

Bradley Dyck Kliewer                Hacking...
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu       It's not just an adventure
                                    It's my job!

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/09/88)

In article <10359@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bkliewer@iuvax.UUCP (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:
>I remember seeing a review of a printer which had a wide carriage and
>3 or 4 heads.  It was built for churning out long jobs.  Does anybody
>remember seeing something like this (and who makes it)?  I'm looking
>for a printer to print an 11,000-12,000 name mailing list on 4-up
>labels.  Anything that's very fast (and won't jam) could do the job,
>so if you have any other ideas, drop me a line.
>--

the best printer, of the dot matrix variety, i've ever seen is the
okidata 2410.  it is, in fact, the only okidata printer i've ever
seen which is worth a d*mn.

the okidata 2410 prints near 450cps, is bidirectional, tractor fed,
supports both serial and parallel interfaces, and last time i bought
one was about $2,000.

in the past i have run payroll for a 1,700 employee company on an
okidata 2410 with minimal difficulty.  i would compare it to any good
quality 300lpm band printer (whole line at a time printer) for speed
and quality.  i once tested one for speed and do seem to recall that
for low print density, so as with program listings or 2 or 3 up
labels, the print speed was near 400lpm.  as for quality, i think
i've heard of one break during the three years i used them.  (now
i use lasers ;-)

disclaimer:  i am not associated in any way with okidata.  this is
	     not a product endorsement of any kind, just the
	     testimonial of a happy end user.

- john.
--
 John "Evil USENET User" F. Haugh II          HECI Exploration Co, Inc., Dallas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh@rpp386.UUCP :DOMAIN

gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) (07/14/88)

In article <244@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:
>In article <10359@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bkliewer@iuvax.UUCP (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:
>>I remember seeing a review of a printer which had a wide carriage and
>>3 or 4 heads.  It was built for churning out long jobs.  Does anybody
>
>the best printer, of the dot matrix variety, i've ever seen is the
>okidata 2410.  it is, in fact, the only okidata printer i've ever
>seen which is worth a d*mn.

The Okidata 2410 is the best dot matrix printer that we have used/sold.  The
print quality is good, and mechanically it is built like a tank.  Lots of
printers claim high CPS throughput, but they don't move the paper fast enough
to take advantage of it.  I have seen many printers claiming in excess of 200
characters per second that in reality only achieve about 80 CPS due to the
slow slew rate of the forms tractor.  The new Okidata 390 is a very nice
printer, but does not have the heavy duty construction of the 2410.

The only problems I have seen with the 2410 are:
	+ Ours got struck by lightning, and blew out a couple of chips.
	  I can't blame the printer for this. :-)

	+ One of our customers was reinking their ribbons with the wrong
	  type of ink, and wore out the plastic gears that drive the ribbon.
	  They stopped reinking ribbons, and stopped wearing out gears.

This is not an ad for Okidata, only comments of a satisfied user of the
2410.

-Steve

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (07/17/88)

In article <188@tscs.UUCP> gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) writes:
>In article <244@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:
>>In article <10359@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bkliewer@iuvax.UUCP (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:
>>>I remember seeing a review of a printer which had a wide carriage and
>>>3 or 4 heads.  It was built for churning out long jobs.  Does anybody
>>
>>the best printer, of the dot matrix variety, i've ever seen is the
>>okidata 2410.  it is, in fact, the only okidata printer i've ever
>>seen which is worth a d*mn.
>
>The Okidata 2410 is the best dot matrix printer that we have used/sold.  The
>print quality is good, and mechanically it is built like a tank.

As one who has used a 2410 for several years in pretty haevy use and less than
optimum conditions, I will concur with the general sentiment.  I do wish, how-
ever, that we had bought the 2350 variant instead for two reasons: bottom-feed
slot (so I would feel safe about printing labels - I do not recommend using a
2410 to print labels, as the paper path is conducive to labels peeling  off
their carriers and jamming under the platen roller - the 2350 would have no
problem with this, and shares the 2410's design and solidity) and extended
character set.

I recently had to replace (about a month or two apart) the two Sheet Feeder
Covers that clamp down over the pin feed and hold the paper in place.. they just
wore out from being opened and closed so many times over 3 years.  Fortunately,
they are identical to the same part on the Okidata u84, a tractor feed for which
we wore out about 4 years ago and had replaced, and I had held on to it in my
typical packrat manner, so I was able to swap them over to the 2410 pretty
easily.

The only other service (outside of cleaning/lube type stuff) has been replace-
ment of the ribbon advance gears, which were just worn out from heavy use, and
cost us relatively little.

I would also recommend the Oki u84. We have one each of the standard and IBM
Graphics versions.  Oki recently sold out its warehouse stock of the IBM
version, and we were able to pick one up at fire-sale prices... $250 for a
$900 printer.

Our original 84 is still working every day, after five or six years of heavy
abuse.  It's been here longer than I have.  It has requred more service than the
2410, including a print head replacement, but it has needed no service in the
last two years (though it will be due for another print head by the end of this
year).

Interesting that these machines have been discontinued.  I can not vouch for
any of the current product line, but fruit does not fall far from the tree.
.

--
  "Through practice, I have become one of the      |Tom Betz
      better liars in the English language.        |ZCNY, Yonkers, NY 10701-2509