[comp.sys.ibm.pc] backup/restore

bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) (07/16/88)

Got a question for the more knowledgable of you.  My boss was attempting
to move some budget files from one system to another using backup and
restore.  The files were orignally on an XT.  They were being transferred
to an AT.  She repeatedly go an error message on the restore cycle stating
that the "source does not contain backup files."  Since the only files on
the disk were "backup.001" and "control.001" this seems to be incorrect.
Is there something inherently incompatible with the two systems?  Could it
be  a difference between the two versions of BACKUP and RESTORE?
We at first thought it might have been the high density A: drive but when
we tried it from the normal density B: drive it still gave us the same
message.  Since this seems to have been done before it just defies all
reason.  Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Bob

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (07/18/88)

In article <4808@killer.UUCP> bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) writes:
>           She repeatedly go an error message on the restore cycle stating
>that the "source does not contain backup files."  Since the only files on
>the disk were "backup.001" and "control.001" this seems to be incorrect.
>Is there something inherently incompatible with the two systems?  Could it
>be  a difference between the two versions of BACKUP and RESTORE?

Exactly.  The DOS 3.3 BACKUP disk format changed; in previous versions one
DOS file was written for each file being backed up; in the new format there
is a data file (backup.nnn) and a control file.  Since you apparently
generated the backup using DOS 3.3 you'll have to use the same level to
do the restore.  I don't know if you can use a 3.3 RESTORE under an earlier
version of DOS.

The apparent reason for the change was the excessive amount of time the
floppy drive spent sawing between the directory and the data files.  This
problem is very apparent when you are restoring a specific file, since a
restore disk written in the old format required that the RESTORE program
read the first record of every file on the disk just to discover that the
disk doesn't contain the file you want.  With the new format this can be
discovered by reading the 'control.nnnn'  file alone.

Also...remember that the files are stored with not only the file name
and extention, but also the path used to access them.  RESTORE will restore
the files only on the identical path.  You cannot, for example, BACKUP a
file 'c:\one\two\sample.dat' and RESTORE it to 'c:\three\sample.dat' since the
paths aren't the same.

joeld@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Joel Dunn) (07/19/88)

-
- Exactly.  The DOS 3.3 BACKUP disk format changed; in previous versions one
- DOS file was written for each file being backed up; in the new format there
- is a data file (backup.nnn) and a control file.  Since you apparently
- generated the backup using DOS 3.3 you'll have to use the same level to
- do the restore.  I don't know if you can use a 3.3 RESTORE under an earlier
- version of DOS.
-
- ... problems with old restore deleted ...
-
- Also...remember that the files are stored with not only the file name
- and extention, but also the path used to access them.  RESTORE will restore
- the files only on the identical path.  You cannot, for example, BACKUP a
- file 'c:\one\two\sample.dat' and RESTORE it to 'c:\three\sample.dat' since
- paths aren't the same.

It is possible to use PCDOS 3.1 Backups with PCDOS 3.3 Restore.  I did this
myself just a couple of months ago.  It is important, though, to make sure that
the path agrees, as Mr. Morris suggests.  If the path does not agree, you will
receive a number of strange error messages.  I thought at first I would not be
able to use my backup, but I tried a few more times and finally realized that
my problem was that since I was using a friend's machine, I was trying to put
my data into directories that did not correspond with the original names.

Joel Dunn, UNC-CH ADP, 440 W. Franklin, Chapel Hill NC 27514
{backbone}!mcnc!ecsvax!joeld      Bitnet: RJD@UNC