[comp.sys.ibm.pc] need info

wangzh@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Zhu Wang) (07/02/88)

    Forgive me if this is a too old or too naive question: should there be
a device or whatever that can detect the incoming calls while I am using
the modem to dial up a remote computer? Thanks in advance.

|UUCP:      {allegra|ihnp4|princeton|seismo|topaz}!cmcl2!wangzh  |
|BITnet:    wangzh@nyucmcl1  ************    |  |  |    |  |  |  |
|ARPA:      wangzh@nyu.edu   * Zhu Wang ==>  |--|--|   /|--|--|  |
|Telephone: (718) 941-0919   ************    |  |  |    |  |  |  |

ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu (Alan Myrvold) (07/05/88)

In article <28726@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> wangzh@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Zhu Wang) writes:
>    Forgive me if this is a too old or too naive question: should there be
>a device or whatever that can detect the incoming calls while I am using
>the modem to dial up a remote computer? Thanks in advance.

This isn't the best of solutions - but some friends of mine have that
"Call-Waiting" feature from Bell where an incoming call interrupts
the current call with a beep.

Their modem gets confused by the beep and drops the line, terminating the
remote session.

					Alan Myrvold
					ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu

mhg@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (07/13/88)

In article <7622@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu (Alan Myrvold) writes:
>In article <28726@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> wangzh@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Zhu Wang) writes:
>>    Forgive me if this is a too old or too naive question: should there be
>>a device or whatever that can detect the incoming calls while I am using
>>the modem to dial up a remote computer? Thanks in advance.
>
>This isn't the best of solutions - but some friends of mine have that
>"Call-Waiting" feature from Bell where an incoming call interrupts
>the current call with a beep.
>
>Their modem gets confused by the beep and drops the line, terminating the
>remote session.

If your phone has call waiting, you can temporarily disable it (on a
per call basis) by pressing #70 before you dial the phone.  (After
pressing #70, you'll get another dial tone).  The result is that
callers will get a busy signal and your modem won't be interrupted.
I've used this quite a lot with great success.

| Mark H. Granoff                      Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation  | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd.         | UUCP   : linus!mbunix!mhg         |
|         M/S B015               |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730      | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7506         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer -----------------------------+
|   The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily     |
|                    reflect those of my employer.                   |

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (07/14/88)

In article <36090@linus.UUCP> mhg@mbunix (Granoff) writes:
>In article <7622@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu (Alan Myrvold) writes:

I've been using a remarkable product called the Watson board, from Natural
MicroSystems, which is both a voice digitizer and a Hayes compatible 1200
baud modem.  It comes with great software which allows you to use the PC
as an answering machine.  It also has an optional VAR package so you can
write your own applications.  I don't know if this is overkill for the
particular problem, but it is a fine product and costs less than many modems
I've seen.

Herb Lison

roth@mrsvr.UUCP (The Unknown Programmer) (07/14/88)

> If your phone has call waiting, you can temporarily disable it (on a
> per call basis) by pressing #70 before you dial the phone.  (After
> pressing #70, you'll get another dial tone).  The result is that
> callers will get a busy signal and your modem won't be interrupted.
> I've used this quite a lot with great success.

Not all switching stations support the temporary suspension of call
waiting.  Call your local phone company for details, or drop
call waiting. Or get call forwarding and forward your phone during
the time you do not want to be interrupted. You can still dial out,
but "they" cannot dial in.

====

neals@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Neal Sedell) (07/19/88)

> If your phone has call waiting, you can temporarily disable it (on a
> per call basis) by pressing #70 before you dial the phone.  (After
> pressing #70, you'll get another dial tone).  The result is that
> callers will get a busy signal and your modem won't be interrupted.
> I've used this quite a lot with great success.

Well, the magic sequence here is *70.  I tried #70 just in case my memory
had lapsed and it started ringing so I hung up.  After the *70 the dial
tone was interrupted a couple times and came back on for the actual call.
--
Neal Sedell

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (07/19/88)

In article <3219@tekigm2.TEK.COM> neals@tekigm2.UUCP (Neal Sedell) writes:
|> If your phone has call waiting, you can temporarily disable it (on a
|> per call basis) by pressing #70 before you dial the phone.  (After
|> pressing #70, you'll get another dial tone).  The result is that
|> callers will get a busy signal and your modem won't be interrupted.
|> I've used this quite a lot with great success.
|
|Well, the magic sequence here is *70.  I tried #70 just in case my memory
|had lapsed and it started ringing so I hung up.  After the *70 the dial
|tone was interrupted a couple times and came back on for the actual call.

If you have only pulse, dialing 1170 should work also.

  Bill
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     |
   Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                      |        This space