[comp.sys.ibm.pc] text-to-speech board

michael@slovax.UUCP (Michael Longe) (03/18/87)

A while ago, there were a number of postings regarding the Radio Shack
speech chips. Could someone send me (e-mail or post) a summary of that
info, including the answers to the following, if possible:

1. Cost of parts and the likelihood of a novice being able to build a board
   himself.

2. Cost of complete board from some company and its address/phone no. Quantity
   discount?

3. RCA jack for an external speaker?

4. Software interface: port I/O or device driver? English input and/or
   phonemes? Speed and pitch control?

5. Available or possible on other machines (for porting software)?

Appreciation expressed in previous posting [thanks in advance].

Michael Longe'
R & D Associates
..!tikal!slovax!michael

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (07/18/88)

I'm looking for a cheap text-to-speech board to plug into an RS-232 serial
port.  The thing doesn't have to be "state of the art."  I just want
something to play around with.  Specifically, I want it to read news
grabbed from X*PRESS aloud to me.

I took a look through BYTE, PC Magazine, various electronics catalogs, and
Computer Shopper.  The only voice-to-text board I could find was in an
advertisement in Computer Shopper from a place called "B.G. Micro" in
Dallas Texas.  The board is $69.95 and the power supply (optional) is
another $19.99.  The prices and board description looks good to me.

My questions are: (1) has anyone dealt with B.G. Micro before.  Any horror
stories?  (2) Has anyone bought the board in their ad?  It is on page 291
of the July 1988 issue of Computer Shopper.

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (07/20/88)

In article <2087@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>I'm looking for a cheap text-to-speech board to plug into an RS-232 serial
>port.  The thing doesn't have to be "state of the art."  I just want
>something to play around with.  Specifically, I want it to read news
>grabbed from X*PRESS aloud to me.

Computer Direct has several models, The "IBM speech thing" is on sale for
59.95.  Attaches to parallel printer port.  8 bit D/A sound converter.
Includes software applications.  From COVOX Inc.

I'm a happy Computer Direct customer.  They can be reached at (312) 382-5050.

--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or