[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anybody have REXX for IBM PC ?

abcscnuk@csuna.UUCP (Naoto Kimura) (07/20/88)

I was wondering if anybody had a REXX interpreter that would run on an
IBM PC.  I'm pretty sure that there were a few requests some time ago,
but I seem to have missed all the replies if there were any.  For those
who aren't familiar with what REXX (stands for Restructured EXtended
eXecutor) is, it is basically interpreted PL/I (with a few
modifications), and is the IBM's equivalent of the unix shell language.

Since I'm on the subject of command interpreters, anybody have
suggestions for a command language better than the standard COMMAND.COM?
(Please don't suggest BASIC, BASICA, or GWBASIC -- I've had to resort to
them because of the shortcomings of the command language and am looking
for something better than BASIC) Do the DOS implementations of the
bourne shell have the ability to execute shell scripts ?  How well do
the bourne shell implementations work when called from within a program?

                //-n-\\				Naoto Kimura
        _____---=======---_____			(csun!csuna!abcscnuk)
    ====____\   /.. ..\   /____====
  //         ---\__O__/---         \\	Enterprise... Surrender or we'll
  \_\                             /_/	send back your *&^$% tribbles !!

P.S.:	Another thing I was wondering if there exists a compiler
	for a subset of PL/I available for the IBM PC.   If so,
	where do I find such a thing ?

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (07/21/88)

In article <1294@csuna.UUCP> abcscnuk@csun.UUCP (Naoto Kimura) writes:
>I was wondering if anybody had a REXX interpreter that would run on an
>IBM PC.

Personal REXX has been out for several years as a product of Mansfield
Software Group.  It implements most of the CMS REXX language (mostly minus
the VM-specific functions).  I don't recall the price, since I've had a copy
since the beta-test days.

Mansfield has also implemented a very large subset of REXX in the latest
version (4.0) of their KEDIT editor.  Previous versions of KEDIT could use
Personal REXX if you purchased both products, but the new release provides
the subset without additional cost.  (But you can get the full P-REXX
features by combining the products.)

I recommend both Personal REXX and KEDIT for PC users, especially programmer
types.  They were designed to be close to the VM implementations of REXX and
XEDIT, but use features on the PC which the mainframe users can't get (at
least from Big Blue).

The vendor's address is:

       Mansfield Software Group
       P. O. Box 532
       Storrs, CT 06268

       (203) 429-8402

Mansfield also operates a bulletin board for users of their software, and
questions (and complaints) about their software are frequently answered by
the author.

Joe Morris

Disclaimer:  I've worked with the authors of these products at meetings of
IBM mainframe users but have no financial interest in the company.

doug@gethen.UUCP (Doug Asherman) (07/21/88)

In article <1294@csuna.UUCP> abcscnuk@csun.UUCP (Naoto Kimura) writes:
>I was wondering if anybody had a REXX interpreter that would run on an
>IBM PC.  I'm pretty sure that there were a few requests some time ago,

There is a product called Personal REXX marketed by Mansfield Software
Group.  According to all the flyers I've read on it, it's a complete
implementation of the REXX language.  You should be able to find it
for about $99 (US) at most large software stores and mail-order places.
If you want more info on it, the place to write is:

    Mansfield Software Group
    PO Box 532
    Storrs, CT 06268

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Mansfield.  I'm just a satisfied user of
one of their products.
--
Current Address:                    :  "Get used to disappointment"
                                    :         -William Goldman