[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PDTAR for Msdos success?

daniel@island.uu.net (Dan Smith, Island Volleybrawl Team) (07/23/88)

	Late last year, John Gilmore posted an excellent implementation
of tar. It's a great replacement for the tar that comes with BSD Unix.
Although it was supposed to compile for Msdos as well, I never was able
to. Someone else ported John's work to Msdos, but then decided it
would be a good idea to start converting every text file in sight
(a no-no!) to/from Msdos/Unix. Among other bugs/features, this person's
derivation (the name isn't handy at the moment) made all .arc files
in a tar archive zero length. That made the program unusable for
my purposes.

	So...has anyone taken John's pdtar/gnutar and gotten it to compile
on Msdos, and left the program alone so that it does what it is supposed
to do (handle any file, leave formats alone)? Or at least added in things
that are *optional*? Thanks much for any info.

				dan

--
dan smith, island graphics, marin co, ca| +1 (415) 491 1000(W), 332 FAST(H)
4000 civic center dr, san rafael 94903  | dis: they're solely my opinions

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (07/24/88)

In article <289@island.uu.net> daniel@island.uu.net (Dan Smith) writes:

>	Late last year, John Gilmore posted an excellent implementation
>of tar. It's a great replacement for the tar that comes with BSD Unix.
>Although it was supposed to compile for Msdos as well, I never was able
>to. Someone else ported John's work to Msdos, but then decided it
>would be a good idea to start converting every text file in sight
>(a no-no!) to/from Msdos/Unix. Among other bugs/features, this person's
>derivation (the name isn't handy at the moment) made all .arc files
>in a tar archive zero length. That made the program unusable for
>my purposes.

The 'someone else' was Eric Roskos.  I too was disturbed by assuming
everything except .COM and .EXE were text.  Although a command line flag
was available to add to the list, it was cumbersome to use.

Therefore, I extended the builtin list to be:  ARC, BIN, CAL, CFG, COM,
DIF, DB?, EXE, GIF, LIB, MAC, NDX, OBJ, 00?, OV?, PIC, RBS, RX?, SLK,
SYL, SYS, TAR, UUE, WK?, XL?, and ZOO.  This was relatively easy and
I've not had any other problems since.  Note that I also permit '?' as a
wildcard character at the tail of the extension.

One other minor change I made was to default to not overwritting
existing files.  In addition to being safer in general, it overcomes a
problem with bogus files after the end of the archive produced by
certain *nix systems.

If anyone is interested in the source or binary for this send me
E-mail.  (Note: ask for source OR binary).

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071