[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Maximum Length of a PC Serial Cable?

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) (07/18/88)

]:[

before i go crazy trying to do something that can't be done, does
anyone know a safe limit on the length of a serial cable?  i'd like
to run a serial cable approximately 30 feet @ 9600 bps to drive a
laser.

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (07/19/88)

If by serial you mean RS232 async, there are official limits on
distance.  They depend upon speed.  I.e. you can get farther at slower
speeds.  At 9600 I think the official limit is something like 50 feet.
It goes up to several hundred feet at 300.  But these limits are
incredibly conservative.  (That's why I'm not taking the trouble to
look up the actual numbers.)  Lots of people use 9600 on cables that
are several hundred feet long.  We do at Rutgers.  There is generally
no problem.  It depends upon keeping it away from big motors and other
things that generate noise, on having solid grounding, etc.  Most
people seem to consider RS232 at 9600 as being OK for just about
anything inside a single building.  I'm sure somebody from the
Pentagon is going to tell me that they have to use microwave with 2
repeaters to get from one end of their building to the other, but for
buildings of the size used in universities, things work.  You should
not use RS232 -- or any other wire -- between buildings, because
lightning will tend to fry the equipment that is connected to it.
Also, slight differences in ground may cause surprising large currents
to flow in the cable.  You want to use fiber between buildings.

hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (07/19/88)

From article <1986@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, by regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli):

> before i go crazy trying to do something that can't be done, does
> anyone know a safe limit on the length of a serial cable?  i'd like
> to run a serial cable approximately 30 feet @ 9600 bps to drive a
> laser.
I believe that RS232 is spec'ed at 9600 baud for about 100 feet,
however, here at work, we commonly run 9600 baud at 1000 feet plus
to our terminals all over the building with no problem at all.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) (07/19/88)

	I have worked with/installed many serial cables that are longer than
you want to install, with no problems.  I think the RS232 definition allows a
maximum length of 50', but I have seen cables several hundered feet long that
worked with no problem.  The only thing I might reccommend is that if it *is*
longer than 50', you may want to use shielded cable.

--
Michael D. Bear                     UUCP    .!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!bear
Computer Technician                 CSNET   bear@bgsu.edu

brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) (07/19/88)

From article <1986@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, by regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli):

> ]:[
>
> before i go crazy trying to do something that can't be done, does
> anyone know a safe limit on the length of a serial cable?  i'd like
> to run a serial cable approximately 30 feet @ 9600 bps to drive a
> laser.

I could be hopelesly wrong, but I think that RS232 "specs" say that
it is good for 100 feet. I don't know if this is correct, but I have
had fairly good success at about 300, but there again, 300 feet may
be the "spec" instead of 100. In other words, 30 feet should be no
problem.

--
	Brian R. Bainter

 AT&T Technologies Atlanta Works
 {cbosgd, gatech, ihnp4, moss, mtune, ulysses}akgua!brb

tomk@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Kopp) (07/19/88)

In article <1986@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
# before i go crazy trying to do something that can't be done, does
# anyone know a safe limit on the length of a serial cable?  i'd like
# to run a serial cable approximately 30 feet @ 9600 bps to drive a
# laser.

You should have no problem.  I've heard that as a rule, you don't need a modem
or a power booster for serial connecting computer until after you cross 50'.
Where I go to school, we've got things hooked up to a couple of hundred feet
apart w/ no trouble.

--
_____ _____ |"Reading computer manuals without    |tomk@lakesys.UUCP
  |     |   | the hardware is as frustrating as   |uunet!marque!lakesys!tomk
  |   \_|   | reading sex manuals without the     |uunet!uwmcsd1!lakesys!tomk
------------- software" - Arthur C. Clarke        ----------------------------

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (07/19/88)

I guess I'm getting curmudgeonly in my old age, but there seems
a lot of guessing posted on the net in the name of being helpful.
(Yes, I do it myself sometimes, when constrained by home/office
spacial displacement  :-)
This discussion got to me because EVERYBODY knows the reference where
the answer can be found but NOBODY looks it up, preferring to post
admittedly vague recollections.

Here's what the standard actually says:

RS232 -	Speed to 20 kb/s, length to 15 m (50 ft).
	Section 3.1 says "longer cables are permissible, provided that
	the resulting load capacitance ... does not exceed 2500 pF."
	Usually you can get away with it, but it ain't guaranteed.
	The foreword to RS232-C (1981) points to RS449 for higher speeds.
	Since 449 can interwork with 232, and since some serial ports
	have upgraded their drivers, it's worth looking at RS449.

RS449 -	supports 2 physical interfaces:
		RS422 for balanced circuits.
		RS423 for unbalanced circuits.
	It is possible to interwork RS423 and RS232 interfaces,
	provided the proper lead transposition.  The actual speeds
	and distances in the spec for unbalanced operation are:
	Speed to 20 kb/s, length to 60 m (200 ft).
	However, explanatory note 6.10 says that, with proper wave shaping,
	you can get to 60 m at a speed of 60 kb/s.

RS423 -	This standard goes beyond the detail in RS 449, giving
	curves of distance vs. speed for various wave shaping.

This is probably more than you really wanted to know, and in some sense
less; you wanted to know about YOUR serial interface.  Here's how:
   -	Look at the driver and terminator chips on the leads.  Get the
	part numbers, and look them up in the catalog.
   -	If the catalog says they are compatible with RS449 or RS 423,
	you can get 200 feet safely.  If not, you can get 50 feet safely.
   -	In either event, you can exceed these distances if you use
	low-capacitance cable and connectors, or are generally not
	too unlucky in your environment.
   -	If you try the above, and get flaky operation, well the
	standard didn't guarantee it.  HOWEVER, lower speed and
	longer distance sometimes work.  (See RS423 if you want
	the exact details.)

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T  -  Lincroft, NJ				|
|    Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtunb!dmt			|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/20/88)

In article <1986@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>before i go crazy trying to do something that can't be done, does
>anyone know a safe limit on the length of a serial cable?  i'd like
>to run a serial cable approximately 30 feet @ 9600 bps to drive a
>laser.

rs-232 cables can be run up to 150 feet without difficulty, even
longer lenghts with higher quality cables and connectors.  the most
important things is to use a shielded cable and connector hoods.
after making up the regular connections, such as pins 2, 3, and
7, connect one end of the cable to the ground on pin 1 of a 25 pin
connector.  the 9 pin connectors only have 1 ground so you will have
to make that connection at the laser end.

also, avoid routing the cable near ac power lines or florescent
lights.  those will induce noise onto the serial cable.

- john.
--
 John "Evil USENET User" F. Haugh II          HECI Exploration Co, Inc., Dallas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh@rpp386.UUCP :DOMAIN

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (07/20/88)

In article <2654@bgsuvax.UUCP>, bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) writes:

> worked with no problem.  The only thing I might reccommend is that if it *is*
> longer than 50', you may want to use shielded cable.

      I beleive the maximum distance is reduced when using shielded cables.
I'm looking at the recent Black Box catalog and all of their distance
ratings are reduced substantually if using shielded cable. I beleive this
is due to the high capacitance per foot actually attenuating the
signals. Anyone have any real specifics along these lines ?  I beleive there
is a tradeoff as far as using shielded cables to eliminate interferrence
and trying to sqeeze the maximum distance out of an interface.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/25/88)

In article <1986@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
> before i go crazy trying to do something that can't be done, does
> anyone know a safe limit on the length of a serial cable?  i'd like
> to run a serial cable approximately 30 feet @ 9600 bps to drive a
> laser.

Several others have given good practical answers, but I want to chime in
with a more general answer.  It's hard to answer questions like this
because (a) Not one of the RS232 interfaces completely complies with the
standard (usually for good reason); (b) Many RS232 uses are not for the
purpose originally intended (connection to a modem at less than 50');
and (c) there are a lot of hardware variations, though PCclones seem to
be almost standard these days.

At first glance, I would have said, Yes, of course, you're connecting a
device less than 50' from the host, even poor hardware should be able to
handle it.  But does "standard" hardware always go up to 9600 baud?
Can't remember.  As too often happens in PC Land, a simple, clear,
general question has no general answer.

I'd give odds of about 100 to 1 that the setup you describe will work,
especially if (as others suggested) you use shielded cable -- you should
probably use shielded cable anyway.  But if there *is* any doubt, I'd use
a dumb terminal or terminal emulator to test the interface before doing
something more sophisticated.

The odds are not nearly as good at longer distances and higher speed.
Most hardware makers seem to make RS232 that can easily go several
hundred fee and faster than 1 mega-bps -- but which ones?  I think the
only good general answer is to take it one small step at a time.