[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Recommendations on good *nix books sought

dstein@cup.portal.com (06/30/88)

I am looking for any good book(s) on Unix and/or Xenix.  I am very MSDOS
proficient but have never had a real reason to use Unix and want to see
what it is all about.  I am particularly interested in books that go into
slightly more detail than "ls is a the Unix equivalent of DOS's dir function"
but don't get too intense too soon (although any well written book is worth
it to me).  If some of you Unix wizards could suggest some titles and your
reasons for liking a specific book over others it would be appreciated.

bicker@hoqax.UUCP (The Resource, Poet of Quality) (07/05/88)

In article <6975@cup.portal.com>, dstein@cup.portal.com writes:
> I am looking for any good book(s) on Unix and/or Xenix.

My choice is _E_x_p_l_o_r_i_n_g _t_h_e _U_N_I_X [_t_m] _S_y_s_t_e_m by Kochan & Wood put
out by Hayden.  I found its slight tutorial style to be very
helpful from a pedagogical standpoint while at the same time it was
not patronizing.  It has two faults: 1) It spends almost 30 pages
on vi, without presenting the alternatives.  (I'd probably complain
more about that if it were not for the fact the many system
commands use vi's data formats for regular expressions.)  2) It was
written before the Korn Shell became the standard.  A quick read-up
on ksh will fix this problem.

--
/kohn/brian.c      AT&T Bell Laboratories Semantic Engineering Center
The Resource, Poet of Quality   ...ihnp4!hoqam!bicker  (201) 949-5850

s29873f@saha.HUT.FI (Veli-Pekka Pulkkinen) (07/15/88)

In article <6975@cup.portal.com> dstein@cup.portal.com writes:
>I am looking for any good book(s) on Unix and/or Xenix.  I am very MSDOS
>proficient but have never had a real reason to use Unix and want to see
>what it is all about.  I am particularly interested in books that go into
>slightly more detail than "ls is a the Unix equivalent of DOS's dir function"
>but don't get too intense too soon (although any well written book is worth

For an introducing source of Unix knowledge I would recommend a book called
A USER GUIDE TO THE UNIX SYSTEM written by Dr. Rebecca Thomas and Jean Yates.
It is published by Osborne McGraw-Hill and is found by ISBN 0-07-881109-0.
The book covers both System V and Berkeley UNIX. It really teaches you to
use a UNIX system, unlike THE UNIX SYSTEM by Bourne. After reading this
book you are ready (and willing) to read more comprehensive publications.

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (07/25/88)

The very, very best general unix introduction book that I have seen
(and this includes many books) is "Exploring the UNIX System" by
Stephen G. Kochan and Patrick H. Wood, published by Hayden.  Kochan
and Wood also have published books on C and Shell Programming, and
both of those are EXCELLENT, too.  I much prefer to being a curmudgeon
and complaining about things, but these books are very good.  Enough
to make me jump out of character for this one message. ;-)
--
Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.; One Radnor Station, Suite 300; Radnor, PA 19087