[comp.sys.ibm.pc] archive bit

bobc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) (07/21/88)

Okay, I give up.  What is the function of the archive bit?   Does this
tell the opsys to do some auditing?  The furschluginner book tells you
how to set it but not what it's for.
Also in passing......is there a way to copy protect specific files?
Even something low level, just to keep the geeks out.

Best,
Bob

scott@clsib21.UUCP (Scott P. Herzig) (07/21/88)

In article <4873@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, bobc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) writes:
> Okay, I give up.  What is the function of the archive bit?

The bit is set by the BACKUP program to indicate whether or not a file
has been archived.  This makes it easy to spot when a backup has been
done and what's been saved.

--
Scott P. Herzig, CLSI, Inc.
320 Nevada Street

simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (07/22/88)

In article <4873@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> bobc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) writes:
>Okay, I give up.  What is the function of the archive bit?   Does this
>tell the opsys to do some auditing?  The furschluginner book tells you
>how to set it but not what it's for.
>Also in passing......is there a way to copy protect specific files?
>Even something low level, just to keep the geeks out.
>
>Best,
>Bob

The archive bit is set every time the o/s updates a file.  This is
useful for backup programs that only want to archive files that have
been modified since the last time they were backed up.  (Read your
DOS manual entry for the backup command for more info.)

There is no easy way to copy protect s/w without getting involved
with non-standard formatting (for floppy disks).  The closest one
can get to copy protecting in a DOS transparent fashion is to have
code that installs the file, and patches some information into the
file that is based on the absolute track/sector location(s) of the
file.  Efforts to copy this file will cause it to be relocated.  Be
aware the disk defragmentation programs will clobber this unless you
set the file's hidden attribute, in which case most will leave it alone.

If you only want to keep novice users from getting at something,
you can mark a file hidden and system, which will keep it out of
dir and copy.

Caveat on these two ideas is that if the file is on a floppy disk,
diskcopy will still copy it.  (Also, to open a file with hidden or
system attribute, you have to set the file attributes used for the
open call to match the file's.)

Simcha Lerner
harvard!humming!simcha

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (07/22/88)

<
<The bit is set by the BACKUP program to indicate whether or not a file
<has been archived.  This makes it easy to spot when a backup has been
<done and what's been saved.

Sorry, you got it backwards.  This bit is set whenever a file is written to,
created, copied to another spot, etc.  It is a flag that can tell backup
programs that this file needs to be saved.  It is reset by appropriate
backup programs when the backup of the file is complete.

This bit allows you to do selective backups, ie, only files that have changed,
otherwise known as the incremental backup.
--
	       harvard-\	att!terminus--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/22/88)

In article <233@humming.UUCP>, simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) writes:
} (Also, to open a file with hidden or
}system attribute, you have to set the file attributes used for the
}open call to match the file's.)

That is only true of the DOS 1.x FCB function calls.  The DOS 2.x and 3.x
file handle functions quite happily open hidden or system files for reading,
provided you know the name (since the directory search won't find the files).
Try typing "DEBUG IBMBIO.COM" from the root directory of a bootable disk.
You just can't WRITE to a hidden or system file unless you properly set the file
attributes for the open call--the DEBUG "W"rite command will fail

In DOS 2.0 or later, the hidden and system bits both keep the file from being
found in a directory search.  However, the system bit additionally prevents
the file from being executed (since the DOS system files are .COM), while
the hidden bit does not.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/23/88)

In article <699@clsib21.UUCP> scott@clsib21.UUCP (Scott P. Herzig) writes:
|In article <4873@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, bobc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) writes:
|> Okay, I give up.  What is the function of the archive bit?
|
|The bit is set by the BACKUP program to indicate whether or not a file
|has been archived.  This makes it easy to spot when a backup has been
|done and what's been saved.

is it safe to assume that mess-dos clears the bit when it writes to the
file?

- john.
--
 jfh@rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"

High-Mage@cup.portal.com (07/23/88)

 The Archive bit if for backups. When you do a backup, the archive bit
 is turned off, when you change or add files, you can then do an Archive
 Backup, and only get those files which have been changed or added since
 the last backup.

 I recommend that you backup your hard drive fully at least once a month
 and do changed file or archive backups once or twice a week, the archive
 bit is for this purpose.

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (07/26/88)

In article <194@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:

>is it safe to assume that mess-dos clears the [archive] bit when it
>writes to the file?

No, it _sets_ the bit.  The "archive" bit logic is:

   off  -  the file has been backed up by the BACKUP program

   on   -  the file has been opened for output since the last time
           it was backed up by BACKUP

Perhaps the bit should be identified as "archive needed".

Joe