[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help: 2400 baud modems

cnee@wright.EDU (Cheng-Lee Nee) (07/21/88)

Hello, netland:

My modem just went out last night. I am planning to get a new one.
I have noticed two modems that fit in my budget: the Avatex 2400 External,
and the USRobotic Direct 2400 External. They are both priced around $190.
Here is my situation: I don't have any idea about the two. Are they
Hayes compatible? Do they have any hardware error correction scheme?
Are they reliable?

If anyone have any idea about those two modems, please help me out.
Recommandations about other models will also be appreciated. Please
reply through E-mail. Thanks a lot!

Cheng-Lee Nee

E-mail address: cnee@odin.Wright.EDU

cnee@wright.EDU (Cheng-Lee Nee) (07/21/88)

Hello, netland:

I am sorry about posting this twice because I give the wrong E-mail address
in the first one (shame on me)! Here's the story again:

My modem just went out last night. I am planning to get a new one.
I have noticed two modems that fit in my budget: the Avatex 2400 external
and the USRobotic Direct 2400 external. They are both priced around $190.
Here is my situation: I don't have any idea about the two. Are they
Hayes compatible? Do they have any hardware error correction scheme
built in? Are they reliable?

If anyone have any idea about those two modems, please help me out.
Recommandations about other models will also be appreciated. Please
reply through E-mail. Thanks a lot!

Cheng-Lee Nee

E-mail address: cnee@wright.EDU

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (07/22/88)

I suggest a Practical Peripherals modem.  This has been hashed out 5
times before in various notesfiles, but it's guaranteed compatible or
return for you money back, and it simply works well.  A few dozen
owners are satisfied.  A handful of people have had problems -- like
the modem was fried from the date of purchase, and they should have
returned it immediately.

Test your modem for noise immunity when you get it -- dial up a
computer and let it sit for an hour -- see how many garbage characters
you get.  This is a relative test, since noisey phone lines in your
area may make things very bad.  One person here got 1char/hr with a
practical modem, and 5-10chars/hr with several other modems.  So he
settled for a practical peripherals modem.

Price is $180-$190 mail-order.

Read "comp.dcom.modems" for more information on modems.

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (07/22/88)

In article <263@thor.wright.EDU> cnee@wright.EDU (Cheng-Lee Nee) writes:
>Hello, netland:
>
>I am sorry about posting this twice because I give the wrong E-mail address
>in the first one (shame on me)! Here's the story again:

This is not a FLAME, just a suggestion.

Most systems support a cancel command that will allow you to cancel your
own article.  It generates a control message that will chase your article
through the network and try to kill it.  If the Cancel is done soon enough
after the article is first posted, it can kill it in your local node.  If
its already spread to adjoining nodes it may catch it there...

BTW, If the news network spreads the news like a virus, whats the equivalant of
a cancel command?  Maybe we've invented a new concept, a virus that seeks and
kill another virus?
--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or

chuck@hotlr.ATT ( C J Luciano hotld) (07/28/88)

In article <428@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM> johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) writes:
 > In article <263@thor.wright.EDU> cnee@wright.EDU (Cheng-Lee Nee) writes:
 >
 > Most systems support a cancel command that will allow you to cancel your
 > [Deleted]
 > BTW, If the news network spreads the news like a virus, whats the equivalant of
 > a cancel command?  Maybe we've invented a new concept, a virus that seeks and
 > kill another virus?

If you saw 2010 Odyssey 2. You may recall a reference to a tapeworm. That's
what it sounds like to me.

C. J. Luciano