[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA/VGA Graphics Package for 'C'

ojala@clinet.FI (Petri Ojala) (07/19/88)

I'm currently trying to get one quite large Graphics Database Software to
work  on AT/386 computers with EGA or VGA display.  But because the
original machine had quite nice graphics support I've run into some
serious problems.

I'm looking for a fast and well-working Graphics Package for MicroSoft
'C'.  The package should include features like lines, circles, rectangles
same as filled with pattern, including 'free fill' (Fill area with color x as
border).  Also it is very important that the package would support reverse
drawing.  Package should support at least EGA and VGA (CGA is not
necessary) adapters and maybe some hi-resolution monitors if possible.

It seems that the built-in graphics routines in MicroSoft 'C' 5.0 and
Turbo 1.5 C are too limited for this application.  So if anyone of you
knows about a good Graphics package for MS-C, please let me know AS SON
AS POSSIBLE !

Thank You!

Petri Ojala                    FidoNET:      515/90, 504/90
                               UUCP:         ...!mcvax!santra!clinet!ojala
  "The one and only.."         Internet:     ojala@clinet.fi

Michael@cup.portal.com (07/24/88)

Try contacting Graphics Software Systems, Inc
               9590 SW Gemini Drive
               Beaverton, Oregon 97005
               (503) 641-2200

Regional Offices:
               Boston (617) 239-0220
               San Jose (408) 562-5766

They support DOS, OS/2, and Xenix operating systems, and have drivers for
all industry standard graphics cards, printers, plotters, mice, etc.
They support the ANSI GKS standard and CGI.

I have no association with GSS, Inc.  But I do have their brochures.  Just a
tad too pricey for the non-commercial home hacker.

				Michael A. Moran

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/28/88)

< "Would you buy a used operating system from these guys?" >

In article <657@clinet.FI>, ojala@clinet.FI (Petri Ojala) writes:
> I'm looking for a fast and well-working Graphics Package for MicroSoft
> 'C'.  The package should include features like lines, circles, rectangles
> same as filled with pattern, including 'free fill' (Fill area with color x as
> border).  Also it is very important that the package would support reverse
> drawing.  Package should support at least EGA and VGA (CGA is not
> necessary) adapters and maybe some hi-resolution monitors if possible.
>
> It seems that the built-in graphics routines in MicroSoft 'C' 5.0 and
> Turbo 1.5 C are too limited for this application.

Well, let's see.  Turbo C supports CGA, HGA, AT&T, EGA, and VGA.  It
does lines, circles (and you can set the aspect ratio to make sure your
circles are circular), and rectangles. It can fill bars (rectangles),
3-D bars, polygons, pie slices (including circles), and "bounded
regions" (floodfill).  You can pick your colors, so "reverse drawing"
would seem be covered.  (Unless you meant drawing in "XOR-ink", which
it can only do while bitblt'ing with putimage.)

What's your beef?

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.