[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Editors

porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) (07/16/88)

What is the consensus out there for the best all-around text editor?
I use the Norton Editor, which is very good.
Does anyone have a vote for their favorite fastest, smallest, or
full-featured editor?  (By small, I mean RAM, not disk space.)
--
Ask me about SPEBSQSA,
The Society for the Preservation and Encouragement

akk2@ur-tut (Atul Kacker) (07/16/88)

In article <Jul.15.13.48.39.1988.25513@topaz.rutgers.edu> porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) writes:

>What is the consensus out there for the best all-around text editor?
>I use the Norton Editor, which is very good.
>Does anyone have a vote for their favorite fastest, smallest, or
>full-featured editor?  (By small, I mean RAM, not disk space.)
>--

Please, not again !!  This 'My editor is better/faster/bigger than yours'
discussion comes up every few months and is nothing but a waste of net
resources.  If you want to compare features, just dig up review articles in
PC mags.  Dr. Dobbs had one some time back.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

zot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Edward C Hsu) (07/16/88)

> What is the consensus out there for the best all-around text editor?
> I use the Norton Editor, which is very good.
> Does anyone have a vote for their favorite fastest, smallest, or
> full-featured editor?  (By small, I mean RAM, not disk space.)

By far, the one I use and love the most has to be Qedit.  Very, very
quick (get it?  Quick Editor?) and very very snappy.  Also powerful
enough to do a little advanced things, but works best in creating
batch files, making logon scripts, and such, basically anything
ascii.  It's shareware, and is on most bulletin boards.  I think
the latest release is 2.6 (as far as I know of..)

Eddy Hsu/zot!

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/16/88)

I have a 22K implementation of ed.  No extraneous garbage to get in the way,
I have the source code... it goes well with my "Real Men Don't Use Menus"
paperweight.  :-)
--
--	bob,mon				(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--	"In this position, the skier is flying in a complete stall..."

zifrony@TAURUS.BITNET (07/25/88)

In article <Jul.15.13.48.39.1988.25513@topaz.rutgers.edu>, porter@topaz.rutgers.

> What is the consensus out there for the best all-around text editor?
> I use the Norton Editor, which is very good.
> Does anyone have a vote for their favorite fastest, smallest, or
> full-featured editor?  (By small, I mean RAM, not disk space.)

I vote for the Norton Editor as well, as it has as additional feature the
on-line help allowing even the novice user to skim quickly through the
commands, and return to the editing job.

Another qucik and small editor is the QED, which is part of the Quick Dos II
package.  However, it cannot handle large files, and it is quite simple.  It
lacks some of the nice features found in the NE, such as block marking.  But
if you want a small, fast and simple editor to do a job, this might be your
choice.

 Doron Zifrony   --  zifrony@MATH.Tau.Ac.IL  or zifrony@taurus.bitnet

 disclaimer:  I represent solely myself, and not any other organization.

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (07/26/88)

I am always using either the WATCOM Editor or EASE.  Both of them have a
command line at the top or bottom of the edit screen.  A key toggles between
the screen and command line.  They are both powerful and fast.

The Watcom Editor reminds me a bit of VI and EDT but not as versatile.
EASE is developed by the EERC (Engineering Educational Research Centre)
here at the University of Waterloo so it may be just local software, but
it's great.  It has a good help facility, billions and billions of
commands and it's FAST.  It's a bit big so I usually just use the
WATCOM Editor for my small jobs because it'll fit on a disk with all
my other handy dandy utilities like kermit, arc. etc...
EASE with all its help files and stuff will fit on a 360K disk with
some of my other stuff so it's not all that big.  It's designed to
be mainly a program editor so it has lots of features for programmers.
Actually, the Watcom editor is also for programmers.  It is the editor
included with all the WATCOM Language Products (i.e. WATFOR77, COBOL,
BASIC, APL, Pascal, etc...).

Both of them are good and I use them regularly when I don't use MKS VI.
VI is VI so I don't think there's much more to say about it.
--
Andy Toy, Applications Support Group, Department of Computing Services (DCS),
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2L 3G1, 519/885-1211 x3417

lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (07/27/88)

In article <Jul.15.13.48.39.1988.25513@topaz.rutgers.edu>, porter@topaz.rutgers
 > What is the consensus out there for the best all-around text editor?
 > I use the Norton Editor, which is very good.
 > Does anyone have a vote for their favorite fastest, smallest, or
 > full-featured editor?  (By small, I mean RAM, not disk space.)

	We use EC (by C-Source) in-house.  I think the binary is about 66k or
so, and it's got basically everything you need.  C-Source's number is
1-618-353-8808 (I think; it's in Montana somewhere.)  Give them a call and
they'll send you some propaganda.
	It's got windowing, regular expressions, a DOS interface, screen
capturing, fairly smart auto-indenting, macros, etc. etc. etc.  Very worthwhile.

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
|/|\|/|\|/||   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   BITNET: lupin3@ucscb@ucscc.BITNET
MetaWare Inc.  Durable Software, Constructed Automatically     "Not much fun in
Disclaimer:[MetaWare, UCSC]->opinion != lhastings->opinion      Stalingrad, no."

Greg_Rzoo_Arzoomanian@cup.portal.com (07/29/88)

If you like Emacs-type editors, I would recommend Epsilon by Lugaru
Software.  It has lots of useful features, including the ability
to run Dos in a window.

Greg Arzoomanian
Home:(415)961-9540; Work:(415)965-7900x372
100 El Camino Real West, #56, Mountain View, CA, 94040
greg.rzoo.arzoomanian@cup.portal.com
sun!portal!cup.portal.com!greg.rzoo.arzoomanian