[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone have or seen a copy of FlickerFree software?

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (07/14/88)

  Has anyone in netland every worked with a piece of software called
FlickerFree?  I've seen in advertised a couple of times InfoWorld.  It's
published by Gibson Reserach (ala Steve Gibson), and advertises itself as
a 7k byte assembly language driver that completely replaces the BIOS screen
display calls to make screen updates much quicker.  It looked to be a decent
product, at a reasonable price ($39), and by a reputable firm, and since my
company was paying for it, I decided to order it.
  When I called them up, though, I was told that it was no longer being sold.
When I asked the salesperson why, she said, "Oh, Steve's a perfectionist, and
he wanted to concentrate his time on ______ (the name of his disk reformatting
software)."  I can appreciate perfection, but just because you want to be
perfect doesn't mean you have to pull everything but your current product
off the market.
  I'd like to know if anyone was successfully able to purchase a copy, and if
so, how well does it work.  Are there similar products available from other
companies?

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff

root@yale.UUCP (Celray Stalk) (07/14/88)

I purchased a copy about 6 months ago.  I used it for a while but found
it incompatible with some of the software I'm using (Pc-Write and
CED, I believe) so I shelved it.  The Fansi-console shareware program
now contains the same functionality (actually, much more) but uses more
memory because of those extra features (somewhere between 40 and 60
KB as I recall).  Fansi is the program I'd recommend, but I received
a flyer from them saying the next version will not be shareware
(so get a copy of the current version while you can).  Alternately,
I'll sell you my copy of Flickerfree cheap...

					      --Peter

------------------------------------------    --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin       		      (203)432-1254
Senior Systems Programmer		      galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu
51 Prospect St, P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station    ucbvax!decvax!yale!galvin-peter
New Haven, Ct   06457			      galvin-peter@yalecs.bitnet
					      --Peter

------------------------------------------    --------------------------------

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (07/14/88)

In article <638@drexel.UUCP>, jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:

>   Has anyone in netland every worked with a piece of software called
> FlickerFree?  I've seen in advertised a couple of times InfoWorld.  It's
> published by Gibson Reserach (ala Steve Gibson), and advertises itself as
> a 7k byte assembly language driver that completely replaces the BIOS screen
> display calls to make screen updates much quicker.  It looked to be a decent
> 						Jeff White
> 						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
> 						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff

Because the bios screen routines are in ROM, they require mucho wait-states
to access (250nS rom vs. 150nS ram).  By simply relocating the bios into ram,
as many 386 boxes do, a factor of ~2-3 is made.  So this was never the miracle
that Steve Gibson might have liked to have sold.  ("Up to 7 times faster"
translates in non-marketing lingo to actually only ~2-3 times faster anyway.)

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (07/15/88)

In article <521@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
}  By simply relocating the bios into ram,
}as many 386 boxes do, a factor of ~2-3 is made.

The factor of two comes from the fact that most 386's use 16-bit ROMs, so
relocating them into 32-bit RAM will cut the number of memory accesses in
half.  Note that there are one or two 386 systems that actually use 32-bit
ROMs, and these will not show such a great speed increase.
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

igp@camcon.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (07/19/88)

From article <521@micropen>, by dave@micropen (David F. Carlson):
> In article <638@drexel.UUCP>, jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>>
>>   Has anyone in netland every worked with a piece of software called
>> FlickerFree?  I've seen in advertised a couple of times InfoWorld.  It's
>> published by Gibson Reserach (ala Steve Gibson), and advertises itself as
>> a 7k byte assembly language driver that completely replaces the BIOS screen
>> display calls to make screen updates much quicker.  It looked to be a decent

> Because the bios screen routines are in ROM, they require mucho
> wait-states to access (250nS rom vs. 150nS ram).  By simply relocating
> the bios into ram, as many 386 boxes do, a factor of ~2-3 is made.  So
> this was never the miracle that Steve Gibson might have liked to have
> sold.

David is missing a valid point (for those of us with creaky old CGA,
anyhow), that the BIOS can't update the screen while the video is being
displayed - a hardware bug in the IBM CGA card. Most(?) newish CGA-type
cards don't have that bug. Hence, software can easily get a speedup
independent of hardware speed.  There was a PD/share package including the
file QWIKSCRN.COM/EXE which does the same thing (+ smaller & cheaper) if
you have a card which doesn't "snow" when you do this.

It was bundled up with QWIKANSI and QWIKMODE - should be on a bulletin board
near you (I think it was posted near here a while back).
--
UUCP:  ...!ukc!camcon!igp | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------

viggo@freja.dk (Allan Kim Schougaard) (07/23/88)

In article <638@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:

>  Has anyone in netland every worked with a piece of software called
>FlickerFree?  I've seen in advertised a couple of times InfoWorld.  It's
>published by Gibson Reserach (ala Steve Gibson), and advertises itself as
>a 7k byte assembly language driver that completely replaces the BIOS screen
>display calls to make screen updates much quicker.  It looked to be a decent
>product, at a reasonable price ($39), and by a reputable firm, and since my
>company was paying for it, I decided to order it.
>When I called them up, though, I was told that it was no longer being sold.

>  I'd like to know if anyone was successfully able to purchase a copy, and if
>so, how well does it work.  Are there similar products available from other
>companies?

There is a devicedriver called Fansi(.sys) selling for $89.95
which promises to iliminate flicker and at the same time make
screen updates faster. (The name is derived from Fast Ansi).
I have had no experience with this product so please followup
if you decide to get it.

                        VIGGO at DIKU

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/29/88)

In article <3944@freja.dk>, viggo@freja.dk (Allan Kim Schougaard) writes:
}In article <638@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
}>  Has anyone in netland every worked with a piece of software called
}>FlickerFree?  I've seen in advertised a couple of times InfoWorld.  It's
}>a 7k byte assembly language driver that completely replaces the BIOS screen
}>display calls to make screen updates much quicker.  It looked to be a decent
}There is a devicedriver called Fansi(.sys) selling for $89.95
}which promises to iliminate flicker and at the same time make
}screen updates faster. (The name is derived from Fast Ansi).

The FANSI.SYS device driver is over 40K, and by the time you add the extra
memory for scroll-back and everything else, FANSI uses a hefty chunk of memory.
You should be aware of this before making a decision.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31