[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need copy of QWIKANSI; , how do I complain to SIMTEL20 manager

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (07/26/88)

   I posted an article a couple of weeks ago asking about software to speed
up screen drawing.  One of the replies suggested I look into a PD program
called qwikansi.  I was able to find a copy on the SIMTEL20 server in the
MSDOS partition.  However, when I downloaded a copy and tried to break it
up (it was in arc format), it kept on coming up as being corrupted (I am
using the Unix version of arc, which I've used before, so I don't think it is
the problem).  I've downloaded it three times, each time giving me the same
error.
  So, I have two questions.  Could someone send me, or point me to, a good
copy of the program.  Second, is there some contact at the SIMTEl20
system I can reach to question the integretity of a particular file?

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff

phil@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) (07/28/88)

In article <646@drexel.UUCP>, jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
> I was able to find a copy on the SIMTEL20 server in the
> MSDOS partition.  However, when I downloaded a copy and tried to break it
> up (it was in arc format), it kept on coming up as being corrupted (I am
> using the Unix version of arc, which I've used before, so I don't think it is
> the problem).  I've downloaded it three times, each time giving me the same
> error.

If you were using FTP, did you happen to set the file type to 'binary'??

This happens all the time when someone forgets to set this flag . . .

--
Phil Ritzenthaler    UUCP : ...!{att,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!phil
                     ARPA : phil@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

"Remember, OPRAH spelled backwards is HARPO (toot-toot)!" -- Anonymous

cww@ndmath.UUCP (Clarence W. Wilkerson) (07/28/88)

The collector at simtel20 is Keith Petersen, and he is very
helpful. I think his handle is w8sdz@simtel20.arpa.
However, one common problem is that simtel20 is a DEC20
machine, and when making binary transfers via ftp, you should
specify
"type tenex" rather than "type image"

In article <18773@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, phil@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:

> If you were using FTP, did you happen to set the file type to 'binary'??

WHEW, BOY!!!  That's what I get for trying to do 4 things a once!!

Don't use binary, use 'tenex' . . .

Sorry about that . . .

--

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (07/31/88)

In article <646@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
|   I posted an article a couple of weeks ago asking about software to speed
|up screen drawing.  One of the replies suggested I look into a PD program
|called qwikansi.  I was able to find a copy on the SIMTEL20 server in the
|MSDOS partition.  However, when I downloaded a copy and tried to break it
|up (it was in arc format), it kept on coming up as being corrupted (I am
|using the Unix version of arc, which I've used before, so I don't think it is
|the problem).  I've downloaded it three times, each time giving me the same
|error.
|  So, I have two questions.  Could someone send me, or point me to, a good
|copy of the program.  Second, is there some contact at the SIMTEl20
|system I can reach to question the integretity of a particular file?

A very common error while using Simtel is the assumption that they are
using ftp "bin" format, which they are not.  When downloading binaries
from their system, be sure to place ftp in "tenex" mode (ftp command
"tenex").  I was unaware of this until uploading a program that I was
asked for; I uploaded it in bin format and they wrote back and said
that that was incorrect for their system.

Another possible problem is that some ARC files where created with
PKARC and can contain a compression technique that is not compatible
with SEA's arc (which is what the UNIX arc was created from).  This
usually results in a "Cannot read archive entry... perhaps you need a
newer version of ARC" error.

My contact point at simtel was w8sdz@simtel20.arpa (Keith Petersen).
He was most helpful (sorry if this leads to a lot of mail, Keith); I
suspect he would know to whom you should direct questions about
archive integrity.

Hope this helps someone out.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu