[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Removable disk media

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (07/27/88)

We are looking for some form of removable cartridge read/write storage
media that will hold at least 10Meg, preferably more. The drive should
fit inside the computer's cabinet. The drive should have both Unix and
MS-DOS drivers available for it. The DOS drivers must be available now
but the unix drivers are not required now. They might be required some
time in the future. If I have to, I'll write them but only if there is
some good thorough documentation available.

If there is no other option, then we will likely use QIC-60 tapes. These
will do the job but with somewhat limited flexiblity.  We do not require
random access but if a random access device was available, then it would
definitely be the first choice.

Any suggestions? Any dogs to avoid?

Thanks
    Larry

--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/30/88)

In article <197@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

| We are looking for some form of removable cartridge read/write storage
| media that will hold at least 10Meg, preferably more. The drive should
| fit inside the computer's cabinet. The drive should have both Unix and
| MS-DOS drivers available for it. ...

Sounds like you want an Iomega system. I've used these and have been
very happy with them. Sysgen (sp?) also makes removable hard disks, but
when I last looked at them they didn't like shock.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (07/30/88)

What about the new bernoulli (sp?) drives that fit the 5 1/4" form
factor?  I think they have both 10Mb and 20Mb carts.  One of the
Japanese mfrs had a proprietary removable drive that also fit in a
half-high slot, but last I heard they only sold it with their clone
(the name escapes me at the moment).  I beleive either solution would
interface the same as a typical HD...

--
Charles Lord           ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl    Usenet
Cary, NC               cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu        Bitnet

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (08/01/88)

In article <197@focsys.UUCP>, larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

> We are looking for some form of removable cartridge read/write storage
> media that will hold at least 10Meg, preferably more. The drive should
> fit inside the computer's cabinet. The drive should have both Unix and
> MS-DOS drivers available for it. The DOS drivers must be available now
>
> Any suggestions? Any dogs to avoid?
> Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
> UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4
>                                           +1 519 746 4918

Since I just asked this question not more than two months ago and have since
found the answer, here it is:

A company called ProStor (415) 974-6462 sells SCSI and MFM ST-506 removable
harddrives for Macs and IBM-PC-type machines.  Good range of sizes.  Makes
government spook shops very happy.  The 40Meg units I am evaling are made
of Toshiba 3-1/2 drives and operates cool and quiet.

Cost is ~$800 for 40Meg.  This is ~2X of a cheapy ST-251 but still ~1/2X a
Core 40Meg, so pricing is middle of the road.  However, if you *NEED*
removable drives with perfectly industry standard interfaces, (no special
drivers of any kind required except your favorite diskpart.sys), cost isn't
the object anyway.

Note:  I don't have any affiliation with ProStor except that they make exactly
the product I needed to get a sale (just in time.)

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll