[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Norton's Online Help

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/01/88)

Thanks to squid!david for posting the ssignal()/gsignal()/ctrlbrk()
excerpts from the Norton guide.  They are fairly accurate copies of the
entries in my TurboC Reference Guide, missing only the careful
formatting.  I assume that Norton has licensed his material, since I
wouldn't expect him to engage in plagiarism.  Since I do have the
manual, and have limited memory for TSR's that are less convenient than
books anyway, I'll be sure to save my money for more useful software.
--
	bob,mon				(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
"`This must be deep' means `I can recognize all these words individually,

In article <11175@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:

   Thanks to squid!david for posting the ssignal()/gsignal()/ctrlbrk()
   excerpts from the Norton guide.  They are fairly accurate copies of the
   entries in my TurboC Reference Guide, missing only the careful
   formatting.  I assume that Norton has licensed his material, since I
   wouldn't expect him to engage in plagiarism.  Since I do have the
   manual, and have limited memory for TSR's that are less convenient than
   books anyway, I'll be sure to save my money for more useful software.

Sorry Bob, but I gotta flame you on this one.  Usually you're on track, but
you missed the ball here.  With QuikHelp (recently posted to c.b.i.p) and the
TC help file, I can get a reference within about two tenths of a second.  In
that much time I can barely pick a book out of the lineup, much less open it.

--
nelson@clutx.bitnet, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu, uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!nelson

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/02/88)

nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

>Sorry Bob, but I gotta flame you on this one.  Usually you're on track, but
>you missed the ball here.  With QuikHelp (recently posted to c.b.i.p) and the
>TC help file, I can get a reference within about two tenths of a second.  In
>that much time I can barely pick a book out of the lineup, much less open it.

(jeez, hardly even a suntan...:-)  Well, I was getting a little shirty there.
My real objection to online help / preference for books is that I can have
the information "displayed" simultaneously with the screen I'm working on.
Even if I had the resources to support multiple windows, etc., I still wouldn't
have as much display area -- just that one screen to show everything.

Now if I could get a multiple SCREEN machine... and if one of them could fit
comfortably in my lap....