[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RAM use in 4.0

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (07/29/88)

I was perturbed when I saw how much more of the precious 640K was taken by
DOS 3.3 than DOS 3.2... 50-70K more! More than double the size.

Now we have a DOS with lots of bells and whistles. Does anybody know
how much room DOS 4.0 takes?

I don't care too much if it takes gobs of space with every bell and whistle
on, but if the minimum RAM allocated to DOS goes up much, I foresee big
trouble on the horizon for lots of users interested in upgrading. Already,
there are lots of things you can't do in DOS 3.3 (combining Desqview with
various big programs like AutoCAD and Ventura is a royal pain, if not
impossible... several people I know gave up and went back to 3.2 in order
to get their RAM back!)

I look forward to hearing the first reports....

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Joel Spolsky) (08/03/88)

In article <296@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>I was perturbed when I saw how much more of the precious 640K was taken by
>DOS 3.3 than DOS 3.2... 50-70K more! More than double the size.
>
>Now we have a DOS with lots of bells and whistles. Does anybody know
>how much room DOS 4.0 takes?

About 256K, with the lame presentation-manager lookalike, but most of that
is swapped out automatically when applications are run.

--
Joel Spolsky
Bell Communications Research