[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Western Digital controller

postman#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (01/31/87)

ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu
To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc@andrew.cmu.edu

I just bought a used 20M hard disk from a friend, who had been using it as a
30M with an RLL controller.  He also threw in a Western Digital controller,
so I now have to reformat the disk for 20M.  Unfortunately, he didn't give me
any documentation (he couldn't find it.)  The board has a whole bunch of pins
on it for configuration, but there are no jumpers/shorting blocks.  I
cannibalized some jumpers from my multifunction card, but trial and error
plugging and unplugging of jumpers hasn't placed anything meaningful at
C800:0000.  Can someone help me?  I need to know what each group of pins is
for, and/or what each combination of jumpers means.

Kenneth Gober
kg0r@andrew.cmu.edu

P.S.  I have found 1 jumper that exhibits interesting behavior.  When I short
the pins together, C800:0000 is flooded with 0xFF.  When I take the jumper
off, C800:0000 goes back to sequences of seemingly random 0xE8's and 0xE2's.
Anyone have any idea what that jumper's for?  The short slot?  Is the EPROM
on the card blank?

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (02/03/87)

> I just bought a used 20M hard disk from a friend, who had been using it as a
> 30M with an RLL controller.  He also threw in a Western Digital controller,
> so I now have to reformat the disk for 20M.  Unfortunately, he didn't give me
> any documentation (he couldn't find it.)  The board has a whole bunch of pins
> on it for configuration, but there are no jumpers/shorting blocks.  I
> cannibalized some jumpers from my multifunction card, but trial and error
> plugging and unplugging of jumpers hasn't placed anything meaningful at
> C800:0000.  Can someone help me?  I need to know what each group of pins is
> for, and/or what each combination of jumpers means.

I tried to send email to this person, but the mailer choked so I will try
here.  My WD controller came with a "manual" consisting of a large double
sided sheet of paper.  There wasn't an awful lot of information, but it
did explain what each jumper is for and how to do a low level format.
If anyone is really desperate, I could probably provide a copy but
I would suggest trying to sweet talk your local computer store - I would
think that any store that sells systems with WD controllers would have
extra copies around.

For an interesting test, put in the jumper that causes the non-FF values
to appear at C800:0000, enter DEBUG, and type

g=c800:5

Hope that helps

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) (08/03/88)

Can anyone give me some help with my controller?
I get an "ECC TEST FAILED" on a certain diagnostic program on my Western
Digital controller, which is hooked up to a Seagate ST-225.
Is this a serious problem? (It doesn't seem to effect anything.)
Is it easily repaired/diagnosed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Come on, you hardware gurus out there!

bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) (08/03/88)

In article <Aug.2.18.19.44.1988.16050@topaz.rutgers.edu>, porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) writes:
> Can anyone give me some help with my controller?
> I get an "ECC TEST FAILED" on a certain diagnostic program on my Western
	I have seen a couple of PD hard disk test programs that include
an ECC test, and they always seem to fail on XT class machines.  I think
most XT controllers don't implement ECC, so the test is meaningless.  At any
rate, mine failed too, and has worked fine for years...

--
Michael D. Bear                     UUCP    .!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!bear
Computer Technician                 CSNET   bear@bgsu.edu