[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need X Window Syatem for PCs

jchaney@moniz.bcm.tmc.edu (07/28/88)

	Is there anyone out there who knows of an implementation of X Window
on PC's?  I would like X11, though X10 would do for a while.

	Please E-Mail to me and I will summerize to the net, if interest
seems great enough.

				Thanks in advance.

				R. Jesse Chaney, jchaney@tmc.edu
				Office of VPIT
				Baylor College of Medicine
				Houston, Texas 77030

bw@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Wilhelmi) (08/01/88)

Hewlett-Packard is offering an X display server (X/PC) for its
Vectra ES and RS series personal computers. Because it is a display
server only, X applications must be run on another X host on the
LAN.  X/PC is on the current price list and shipments are expected
in early October.

The product number is D1851A and U.S. list price is $495.00.
X/PC is supported on the Hewlett-Pacard Vectra ES and RS PCs.  Also
required are the D1801A ARPA Thinlan Link (which provides a Thinlan
card and software with Option 100) and the D1800A ARPA Services (the
ARPA software).  A mouse is recommended.  X/PC will support the EGA,
VGA, or HP Intelligent Graphics Card and related displays.

Bill Wilhelmi
Hewlett-Packard Company
Corvallis Workstation Operation
Corvallis, Oregon

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (08/03/88)

In article <1180040@hpcvlx.HP.COM> bw@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Wilhelmi) writes:
<
<Hewlett-Packard is offering an X display server (X/PC) for its
<Vectra ES and RS series personal computers. Because it is a display
<server only, X applications must be run on another X host on the
<LAN.  X/PC is on the current price list and shipments are expected
<in early October.
<
<The product number is D1851A and U.S. list price is $495.00.

That sounds really hot but there's no way I'm buying a HP Vectra.
Give me something which will run on a Taiwanese clone with a Herc
clone, a Logitech mouse, and Sun PC-NFS. I'd buy that!

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

ken@nsc.nsc.com (Ken Trant) (08/03/88)

in article <22528@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) says:
%
** That sounds really hot but there's no way I'm buying a HP Vectra.
** Give me something which will run on a Taiwanese clone with a Herc
** clone, a Logitech mouse, and Sun PC-NFS. I'd buy that!

 Then try Opus systems in Cupertino.
--
PATH= Second star to the right,          {...Ken Trant...}
      and straight on till morning

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (08/03/88)

Phil writes:
> ** Give me [an X server] which will run on a Taiwanese clone with a Herc
> ** clone, a Logitech mouse, and Sun PC-NFS. I'd buy that!
					So would the rest of us!!
Ken replies:
>  Then try Opus systems in Cupertino.

PLEASE tell us more...we are interested...we want the details...
--
--

mgsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (Michael Smith) (08/03/88)

In article <5355@nsc.nsc.com> ken@nsc.nsc.com (Ken Trant) writes:
>in article <22528@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) says:
>% In article <1180040@hpcvlx.HP.COM> bw@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Wilhelmi) writes:
>% <Hewlett-Packard is offering an X display server (X/PC) for its
>%
>
> Then try Opus systems in Cupertino.
>--

When will something be available that will work over a 9600 or 19200 baud
modem?  This way one could use X Windows at home by tying into a workstation
at work.  Is this idea feasible?

Mike Smith
Hewlett-Packard Labs