[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RLL on non RLL drives

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (07/28/88)

Has anyone tried non RLL certified drives on a RLL controller?  I'd be
particularily interested in the Seagate drives like the 4096 and the 251.

Any experiences would be welcome.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

john@jclyde.UUCP (John B. Meaders Jr.) (07/29/88)

In article <4650@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Has anyone tried non RLL certified drives on a RLL controller?  I'd be
>particularily interested in the Seagate drives like the 4096 and the 251.
>
>Any experiences would be welcome.

I posted an article on this, but I'll briefly state what I have.  I am using
a WD1003-RA2 (26 sec/trk) with 2 ST-251s.  I run SCO Xenix 2.2.1 exclusively
on an AT clone.  I have been up for 19 hrs now (since the final installation
of everything and no thanks to a power hit) with no problems.  If I have
problems I'll be sure and post.  I like going for maximum uptime.  The drives
are fantastic (last summer jclyde was up for 60+ days under 2.1.3).
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (07/30/88)

>>Has anyone tried non RLL certified drives on a RLL controller?  I'd be
>>particularily interested in the Seagate drives like the 4096 and the 251.

A ST-251 I tried worked fine.  A 4096 wouldn't (at least with a Adaptec
2372).

How about Maxtor, Miniscribe, Micropolis?  Does anyone have comments
about reliablity - I'm not sure I trust the MTBF figures.

--

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/03/88)

In article <4654@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:

| A ST-251 I tried worked fine.  A 4096 wouldn't (at least with a Adaptec
| 2372).

  That's not a big enough sample! I have two which work on 2372. Of
course that's not a big enough sample, either. Adaptec says that the
4096 should work, and I would expect them to unless you have one which
is at the outer edge of the acceptable timing spec.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

john@jclyde.UUCP (John B. Meaders Jr.) (08/04/88)

In article <11708@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  That's not a big enough sample! I have two which work on 2372. Of
>course that's not a big enough sample, either. Adaptec says that the
>4096 should work, and I would expect them to unless you have one which
>is at the outer edge of the acceptable timing spec.

You can add my two ST-251s working with a WD1003-RA2 (under Xenix).
I've been up 6 days now with no problems.  I'll report after about
30 days.