[comp.sys.ibm.pc] uucp for pc?

bruno@pbsdts.UUCP (Bruce W. Mohler) (08/04/88)

You know how people apologize for asking something
that has already been asked 100+ times?  I apologize.

What are my alternatives as far as programs on the PC
that can talk to a un*x system in uucp (g protocol)?

I know that one alternative is uupc.  Public domain?
Who do I contact?

Are there purchasable products (that people are satis-
fied with)?  Who do I contact?

Thanks in advance!
--
Bruce W. Mohler                       voice: 619/586-2218
Staff Analyst                         unix:  bruno@pbsdts.pacbell.com

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (08/06/88)

In article <253@pbsdts.UUCP> bruno@pbsdts.UUCP (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
>You know how people apologize for asking something
>that has already been asked 100+ times?  I apologize.
>
>What are my alternatives as far as programs on the PC
>that can talk to a un*x system in uucp (g protocol)?
>
>I know that one alternative is uupc.  Public domain?
>Who do I contact?

From my archives:

>UUPC is a public domain package that will allow mail and files to be sent
>from a number of different type of pcs to unix via uucp protocol. It
>is not very clean but they say you can get it working if you are willing
>to do a little work setting it up.
>
>UUPC can be obtained via direct anonymous uucp login at van-bc.UUCP.
>
>Phone:	604-939-4782	Telebit Trailblazer @ 9600 bps, PEP/UUCP
>			spoof enabled, also handles 2400/1200 baud.
>	604-939-4756	This modem handles 2400/1200 baud only.
>Login:	nuucp
>Passwd:	nuucp
>
>The UUPC files are in ~/uupc/*, and are stored in compress (.Z) format.
>
>An index of what's available is in the file ~/uupc/INDEX.
>
>Patrick Bartkus
>
>Patrick.Bartkus@Atlanta.NCR.COM   or
>{gatech|ncrcae}!ncrats!bartkus

>In article <246@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> jrl@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM
>(John R. Latala) writes:
>>I'm trying to get my PC to receive mail from one of our Towers. ....
>>The mail gets moved to one of the PC's holding directories, but then never
>>gets posted into /usr/mail/whatever
>
>This bug has been reported in comp.sys.amiga; I'm assuming that the same
>bug exists in the clone world as well.
>
>UUPC expects that the transmitting UUCP will construct execute files (the
>X. files) with a specific format.  HoneyDanBer does not construct the execute
>files this way (it uses a scheme that is stronger against naming conflicts),
>so the work will accumulate and never be processed.
>
>The fix is to repair the source.  Since you don't have that, I'm afraid that
>you will have to go back to your binary provider and get them to fix it.
>For their edification and delight, here is the fix, as given by Johan Widen
>(jw@sics.se) of the Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Kista.  He refers
>to it as "patch 3" but I don't know what the first two are.

*** dcp.c.old	Fri Mar 25 04:14:15 1988
--- dcp.c	Wed Mar 30 21:39:06 1988
***************
*** 16,22 ****
   * This program implements a uucico type file transfer and remote
   * execution type protocol.
   */
! #define  VERSION "1.11 Camelot"
  #include "dcp.h"
  #include <signal.h>
  /**/
--- 16,22 ----
   * This program implements a uucico type file transfer and remote
   * execution type protocol.
   */
! #define  VERSION "1.11.1 Camelot"
  #include "dcp.h"
  #include <signal.h>
  /**/
*** dcpsys.c.old	Sat Mar  5 19:49:54 1988
--- dcpsys.c	Tue Mar 29 21:21:22 1988
***************
*** 700,707 ****

  dscandir()
  {
-     int len;
-     char cname[40];
      DIR *dirp;
      struct direct *dp;

--- 700,705 ----
***************
*** 710,719 ****
  	return(0);
      }
      cfile[0] = 0;
-     sprintf(cname, XQTFILE, rmtname);
-     len = strlen(cname);
      while(dp = readdir(dirp)) {
! 	if(!strncmp(cname, dp->d_name, len) &&
  	   (!cfile[0] || strcmp(cfile, dp->d_name) == 1))
  	    strcpy(cfile, dp->d_name);
      }
--- 708,715 ----
  	return(0);
      }
      cfile[0] = 0;
      while(dp = readdir(dirp)) {
! 	if(!strncmp("X.", dp->d_name, 2) &&

-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd

--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or