[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Computer problems.

trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) (08/04/88)

I have an AT clone (Uniq 286) with a Seagate ST-251 hard disk.

Question #1

When I turn off the power the disk drive chatters briefly.  Would somebody
who has experience with this behavior please tell me if it can cause
problems.  Should the drive be returned or is this normal?  Please, no
speculations I can do that myself.

Question #2

My computer can run at either 8mhz or 12.5mhz.  Just recently, I began having
problems with the 12.5mhz speed.  When I use Tcless to view a file it sometimes
hangs, this does not happen at 8mhz.  Also, again sometimes, when I reboot the
system hangs.  It appears that the problem is related to disk activity.
My computer has an AMI BIOS and I am using MSDOS 3.3.
Comments anyone, even speculations are welcome.

Thank you.
--
Terry Raymond
Raytheon Submarine Signal Division; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x5597

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (08/06/88)

In article <3341@rayssd.ray.com> trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) writes:

>I have an AT clone (Uniq 286) with a Seagate ST-251 hard disk.

>Question #1

>When I turn off the power the disk drive chatters briefly.  Would somebody
>who has experience with this behavior please tell me if it can cause
>problems.  Should the drive be returned or is this normal?  Please, no
>speculations I can do that myself.

OK, I don't know the details about the ST-251 so I could be wrong, but:
Sounds like you have a noisy hub brake.  I have an ancient TI 10 Mbyte
hard disk (Seagate clone, ST-512 - I think) in my TI pro.  It has made
a horrible scraping sound on power-off since it was new... about five
years ago (or was it six?).  The disk would have to opened up on a
"clean bench" (sort of like a miniature clean room) to clean and adjust
the brake in order to get rid of the noise.  It didn't seem worth the
trouble.

Until recently, I had an ST-251 in my AT&T PC at work and there are
many others in the area.  Mine buzzed slightly on power-off, but
nothing really dramatic.  Others were/are essentially noiseless.  My
TI's scrape is not normal, though harmless.  Your 'chatter' is prob-
ably not normal, though probably harmless.  Still, it's not normal -
if the sound is disturbing and you can get a replacement for free,
consider playing it safe.

regards, Larry
--
Who: Larry A. Shurr (...!osu-cis!apr!las or try {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbema!las)
What: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

john@jclyde.UUCP (John B. Meaders Jr.) (08/07/88)

In article <3341@rayssd.ray.com> trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) writes:

>I have an AT clone (Uniq 286) with a Seagate ST-251 hard disk.
>
>Question #1
>
>When I turn off the power the disk drive chatters briefly.  Would somebody
>who has experience with this behavior please tell me if it can cause
>problems.  Should the drive be returned or is this normal?  Please, no
>speculations I can do that myself.

The chattering noise is the heads parking themselves.  The ST-251 parks its
heads on power-off.  There should be no problems, on the contrary, this is
*good* behavior :-).  You shouldn't have to return the drive since this
is normal behavior.

>Question #2

Sorry, can't answer that one.

--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550