[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM ROM BIOS upgrade kit

cain@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Timothy Cain) (08/04/88)

Does anyone have or know where I could obtain an IBM PC ROM BIOS
Upgrade Kit, part number 1501005? My neighbor needs one desperately
for her PC, which won't use the hard disk without this. IBM doesn't
stock it anymore, and dealers in the area don't have it.

Thanks.

Tim.
--
Timothy D. Cain     Department of Information and Computer Science, UC Irvine
                                          cain@ics.uci.edu             (ARPA)

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (08/05/88)

In article <927@orion.cf.uci.edu> cain@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Timothy Cain) writes:

>Does anyone have or know where I could obtain an IBM PC ROM BIOS
>Upgrade Kit, part number 1501005? My neighbor needs one desperately

The kit isn't available (it originally came with a chip puller and
instructions, I think). However the ROM itself is still floating about.
One place advertises monthly in Computer Shopper; they sell them in
single quantities for $25. Ask for part #MK36C35N-4, Program # 1501476.

Hi Tech Electronics
7686 St. Clair C
Mentor, Ohio 44060

(216) 951-1884

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

lynn@plx.UUCP (Lynn Macey ) (08/05/88)

I saw an add in the current PC Week that this part is available
from:

	Self-Reliant PC Products
	1750 Kalakaua Ave #3-133
	Honolulu, HI  96826

	808 946-1808

	Part # MK36C35N-4
	Prog # 1501476 IBM 81-83

Standard disclaimer:

I don't know these people. I haven't done business with these
people. They ran an ad and I am posting it because there is interest.

Lynn Macey, Plexus Computers

lynn@plx

svirsky@ttidca.TTI.COM (William Svirsky) (08/07/88)

In article <927@orion.cf.uci.edu> cain@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Timothy Cain) writes:

>Does anyone have or know where I could obtain an IBM PC ROM BIOS
>Upgrade Kit, part number 1501005? My neighbor needs one desperately
>for her PC, which won't use the hard disk without this. IBM doesn't
>stock it anymore, and dealers in the area don't have it.

From a PCWEEK magazine ad:

ROM UPGRADE CHIP FOR ORIGINAL IBM PC
This is the hard to get IBM upgrade ROM that allows your original PC to
utilize the full 640K of RAM and allow your PC to recognize and use a
bootable hard disk. *These are authentic IBM chips - not pulls*.
ONLY $49.95 EACH!
Part No. MK36C35N-4   Prog. No. 1501476   IBM 81-83
SELF-RELIANT PC PRODUCTS
1750 Kalakaua Ave. #3-133
Honolulu, HI 96826
Phone: 808-946-1808

I don't have any experience with this company.

I believe I've seen similar ad by another company in Computer Shopper's
magazine, but it's at home.  If I remember, I'll post it also.
--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp+TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597