[comp.sys.ibm.pc] V20 info wanted

kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) (08/01/88)

Hello All..
    I'm currently thinking about upgrading my 8088 based PC-1 to an
V20.  I'd like to know several things about the V20 so I can decide if
it's worth the hassles or not.

    What I'd like to know:

	1) How much faster is a V20 over a 8088?  What kind of speed can
           I expect to get in MHz?

        2) Is the V20 compatible with the V20?
        3) What works and what doesn't work with a V20 (Softwarewise)
        4) What's good and bad about a V20?

Thanks..
Karl Kingston

UUCP:  ..!rochester!ritcv!kfk9673
             -or-
       ..!rochester!ritcv!ultb!kfk9673

BITNET: KFK9673@RITVAX

spcecdt@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Space Cadet) (08/07/88)

In article <690@ritcv.UUCP> kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) writes:

>	1) How much faster is a V20 over a 8088?  What kind of speed can
>           I expect to get in MHz?
>
>        2) Is the V20 compatible with the V20?
>        3) What works and what doesn't work with a V20 (Softwarewise)
>        4) What's good and bad about a V20?
>Thanks..
>Karl Kingston

	 I replaced my 8088 with a V20 about a year ago.
	1) The V20 will operate at exactly the same clock rate as your current 8088,
unless you change the clock which doesn't sound like it is part of your
plan.  The V20 carries out some operations in fewer clock cycles that the 8088,
so programs will run faster with it.  Norton's sysinfo says my system is 33%
faster with the V20, which is absurd; he must be using some particularly
sensitive instructions.  I'd say it is actually 5% to 20% faster, depending on
the software I'm using.
	2) umm....?
	3) In my experience everything that works with an 8088 will work with
a V20.
    4)  There isn't much other difference between them.  I think some early
copy-protection schemes choked on a V20 because of their time-sensitive
aspects, but I believe that has been taken care of.  Also, the V20 has an
8080 emulation mode, though this is really only useful if you want to use
one of the CP/M emulators that depend on this capability.
    Altogether, I was certainly well worth it since I got about a 10% average
increase in capability for 1% of the cost of my system ($10).
--
> John H. DuBois III # spcecdt@ucscb.ucsc.EDU  ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!spcecdt <

richard richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (08/08/88)

When upgrading a 8088 to a nec v20, you can expect a general increase
of performance of 5%. With heavy math this is 20%

Unfortunately I've found that some XT's don't format the harddisk
correctly on low-level with the v20.

My opinion: It isn't worth the trouble. AT's are quite cheap now. A
10Mhz AT will give you a REAL speed boost.

Richard

PS Don't believe Norton SI which reports a performance index of 70%.