[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EMS 4.0 boards

sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) (08/03/88)

The Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification 4.0 has been
available for quite a while now.  Several major software vendors have
released software compatible with this new specification, e.g. DESQview,
Microsoft Windows 2.0.  As far as I know, only two vendors supply memory
boards that conform to this new specification: the new Intel board and
the AST board.  Both of these boards are very expensive, especially
the AST board which with a minimal amount of memory costs over $400.
Are there any reasonably priced memory boards that conform to EMS 4.0?

--Dan
--
Daniel Sears                Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Technical Publications      MS 5-42

kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) (08/04/88)

I am currently using a LIM4.0 EMS board made by EVEREX (part EV158A).  It can
accomadate up to 10MB of memory using 1M DRAMS in increments of 2M-bytes.  The
board comes with 0K installed complete with LIM4.0 drivers and sells for about
$150.  The catch is that 1M DRAMs are in short supply right now and are not
cheap.

I hope this helps.

I am in no way connected to EVEREX other than being a satisfied customer.

 _   ,                   __                 Kevin Owen @ Hewlett-Packard
' ) /                   / ')                Cupertino, California
 /-<   _ , __o  ____   /  / , , , _  ____   Phone :    (408) 447-0218
/   ) </_\/ <__/ / <  (__/ (_(_/_</_/ / <_  UN*X Mail  ...hplabs!hpccc!kevino

hst@mhres.mh.nl (Klaas Hemstra) (08/04/88)

From article <62515@sun.uucp>, by sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears):
> The Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification 4.0 has been
> available for quite a while now.
> ...etc.
> Are there any reasonably priced memory boards that conform to EMS 4.0?
> ...etc.
> Daniel Sears                Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> ..

Since you asked I like to ask this : Is there something special about a
EMS 4.0 memory board (e.g. is it different from a EMS 3.0 board ?).
Also: can there be some kind of EMS 4.0 driver which can address a 3.0 board?

Note: I have the EMS 4.0 driver specs somewhere but I haven't had the time to
try to figure out whether the board should be different from 4.0. It makes
sence if you would only need a new driver for your EMS 3.0 board to run
(maybe a somewhat limitid version of) EMS 4.0.

I hope that somebody can explain about the (hardware) difference between 3.0
and 4.0 (if there is one)
					Klaas
--
Klaas Hemstra  (hst@mh.nl)                   |    /  / ,~~~  ~~/~~
uucp: ..{uunet!}mcvax!mh.nl!hst              |   /--/  `-,    /  ___  |_/ |__|

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/08/88)

hst@mhres.mh.nl (Klaas Hemstra) writes:
+From article <62515@sun.uucp>, by sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears):
+> ...etc.
+
+Since you asked I like to ask this : Is there something special about a
+EMS 4.0 memory board (e.g. is it different from a EMS 3.0 board ?).
+Also: can there be some kind of EMS 4.0 driver which can address a 3.0 board?

I just ordered an EMS board, after looking around... What I found included:

Boca RAM board:  _not_ LIM 4.0 (LIM 2.x?), and apparently not upgradeable.
	Used boards available.
FASTCard ($99 0K): LIM 3.x,  they expect to offer a driver upgrade "soon".
PC Technologies ($150 0K):  LIM 4.0 (also compatible with my 8MHz bus)

So it sounds like some boards can be upgraded, but not all of them.
I'm waiting for the PCTech board to arrive.  If anyone wants more info
about it when I get it, I'll be happy to e-mail (unless the demand is
overwhelming).
--
	-- bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
	-- "Aristotle was not Belgian..."	- Wanda