[comp.sys.ibm.pc] unix on a '386

marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) (08/02/88)

Anybody out there using un*x on a '386 machine?

Ideal would be to run DOS as a task. Anyone have experience with
VP/ix or Merge386? Recommendations?

thanks,

marco

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (08/03/88)

In article <200002@hpmcaa.HP.COM> marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) writes:
>Anybody out there using un*x on a '386 machine?
>Ideal would be to run DOS as a task. Anyone have experience with
>VP/ix or Merge386? Recommendations?

I haven't seen anymore than literature on it, but VenturCom (617-661-1230)
has a product called Venix.  From a quick scan of this, it does not
appear to have a DOS window capability, only allows multiple disk
partitions which can allow a quick reboot to DOS...

I have no affiliation with VenturCom, etc., etc., ...
--
George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co., PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102  ph:918-660-4066

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/04/88)

In article <200002@hpmcaa.HP.COM> marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) writes:
>Anybody out there using un*x on a '386 machine?
>
>Ideal would be to run DOS as a task. Anyone have experience with
>VP/ix or Merge386? Recommendations?
>
>thanks,
>
>marco

I have VP/ix for SCO Xenix 386 but I must admit I have not installed it
yet.  I am intimately familiar with Microport V/386 and Merge/386 and I
will repeat my opinion, I would not dignify it by calling it excrement.
I wasted a lot of time, effort, money, and grief with it.  I am equally
familiar wiyh the Locus effort for AT&T's 6300 PLUS and it is a smooth
and effortless product.  That was a large part of my rationale when I
selected Merge/386, I liked Locus and I liked their work.

It's not fair to try to compare a '286 DOS/Merge product with a '386
effort, the machines are too different.  Where I got derailed was by
buying Microport because I thought Locus was good.  In fairness to
Microport, I have two V/AT (286) systems and I like them just fine. I
will elaborate on why their '386 software is unacceptable (as a non
lawyer, I think it's culpable negligence) by email but I don't think
you want to hear it.  I can also give you two email addresses for
satisfied V/386 users (I never was one) but neither use Merge.  I can
flood you with email addresses of people who feel the same way about
Merge as I do.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/09/88)

VenturCom is a distributor of ISC's 386/ix.  They may also have come out
with a version of 386/ix with their value-added "real time" OS mods,
although this last statement is conjecture based on their advertising,
and not from actual experience.  Of course, with 386/ix from Venix or
elsewhere, you can run VP/ix for DOS emulation.

By the way, I should mention that a friend of mine has been writing
a UNIX-like OS for the 8088 which boots itself upon power up, completely
bypassing DOS.  VP/ix provided a complete emulation of the IBM PC
"virtual machine" such that his OS booted successfully right off.
He wasn't able to do this under Locus' DOS Merge for the 386.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu