[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PS/2 going to Europe

1dharvey@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Doug Harvey) (08/10/88)

An associate of mine is planning on bringing his IBM PS/2 Model 50
to Europe with him.

Other than the voltage, is there anything that he needs to be con-
cerned with before using his PC abroad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Harvey

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (08/12/88)

In article <24310@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> 1dharvey@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Doug Harvey) writes:
>An associate of mine is planning on bringing his IBM PS/2 Model 50
>to Europe with him.
>
>Other than the voltage, is there anything that he needs to be con-
>cerned with before using his PC abroad?

Hmm.. I would guess that not only voltage but cycles need to be considered.
Some CRTs will not operate on 50Hz unless tweeked.  I know most of the
newest NCR stuff has dual mode power supplies (not trying to blow our horn,
just stating my experiance) that can switch between power standards.

There is also some restrictions on EXPORTING certain programs that do
encription/decriptions.

You should also beware that some countries frown on bringing certain
items into the country.  My church tried bringing an AT into INDIA and
almost had it confiscated at customs.  It seems India is trying to start
a manufacturing and export business in PC's and they don't like you
importing American (well, Korean) equipment.

I suggest you contact both the US State Department (on taking your programs
out of the country) and the local embassys for the countries you will be
visiting.
--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or