[comp.sys.ibm.pc] stty for DOS

sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) (08/10/88)

Recently, I upgraded my PC from MS-DOS 3.1 to 3.2.  Now when I type CONTRO-U
to kill a line or CONTROL-W to kill a word nothing happens.  I went through
the MS-DOS documentation looking for a way to generate these effects, but
I couldn't find anything.  Is there an MS-DOS equivalent to the UNIX stty(1)
command for setting terminal options?  Anything in the public domain?

--Dan
--
Daniel Sears                Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Technical Publications      MS 5-42

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (08/10/88)

In article <63676@sun.uucp> sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) writes:
>Recently, I upgraded my PC from MS-DOS 3.1 to 3.2.  Now when I type CONTRO-U
>to kill a line or CONTROL-W to kill a word nothing happens.  I went through
>the MS-DOS documentation looking for a way to generate these effects, but
>I couldn't find anything.  Is there an MS-DOS equivalent to the UNIX stty(1)
>command for setting terminal options?  Anything in the public domain?

All you people at Sun posting help messages for computer related matters
really instills great confidence in the end user of your systems.

Absolutely great product advertising! Maybe you should post in rec.humor!

Rick Link
Space Sciences Laboratory
link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu              (a Sun system!)

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (08/10/88)

In article <13130@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>All you people at Sun posting help messages for computer related matters
>really instills great confidence in the end user of your systems.
>
>Absolutely great product advertising! Maybe you should post in rec.humor!
>
>Rick Link
>Space Sciences Laboratory
>link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu              (a Sun system!)

Come on.  Be serious.  Are you telling me that every student at
berkeley who has a login knows everthing there is to know about System
V streams?  After all, your organization (berkeley) does design
operating systems that kind of do the same thing.  By the way, how much
do you know about System V streams?  Or disk drivers for Miniscribe disks?

I think that it is great that employees of a growing workstation computer
system company are interested enough in their work that they have their
own machines and want to improve them.  I would even feel good if people at
IBM where asking these questions.  Maybe then PC DOS 5.0 would be a better
product.

The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

(You may consider this a flame)

Thanks - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or decvax!mcnc!davis)

ken@nsc.nsc.com (Ken Trant) (08/11/88)

in article <13130@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) says:
% In article <63676@sun.uucp> sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) writes:
%>Recently, I upgraded my PC from MS-DOS 3.1 to 3.2.  Now when I type CONTRO-U
%>to kill a line or CONTROL-W to kill a word nothing happens.  I went through
%>the MS-DOS documentation looking for a way to generate these effects, but
%>I couldn't find anything.  Is there an MS-DOS equivalent to the UNIX stty(1)
%>command for setting terminal options?  Anything in the public domain?
%
%
% All you people at Sun posting help messages for computer related matters
% really instills great confidence in the end user of your systems.
% Absolutely great product advertising! Maybe you should post in rec.humor!
% Rick Link
% Space Sciences Laboratory
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Maybe he's an experiment.

% link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu              (a Sun system!)

 I didn't know Sun made PC's (or compatibles). Do you expect everyone employed
 in the computer industry to know about all OS's?.

--
PATH= Second star to the right,          {...Ken Trant...}
      and straight on till morning

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (08/11/88)

In article <13130@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>In article <63676@sun.uucp> sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) writes:
>>Recently, I upgraded my PC from MS-DOS 3.1 to 3.2.  Now when I type CONTRO-U
>>to kill a line or CONTROL-W to kill a word nothing happens.  I went through
>
>All you people at Sun posting help messages for computer related matters
>really instills great confidence in the end user of your systems.

Mr. Link, you are way out of line here. I get the impression you get a
lot of pleasure out of putting other people down. Try not to exhibit
such traits in front of such a large audience.

Daniel, you have several options. I have a patch for DOS which turns
on ^U and ^W, to be applied to your system disk. There is a program
going around which patchs DOS after it is loaded. Finally, you can use
a TSR called history which also provides very nice command line editing.

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (08/11/88)

In article <5541@nsc.nsc.com> ken@nsc.nsc.com (Ken Trant) writes:
>in article <13130@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) says:
>%
>% All you people at Sun posting help messages for computer related matters
>% really instills great confidence in the end user of your systems.
>% Absolutely great product advertising! Maybe you should post in rec.humor!

Sorry to Dan Sears if he and others took offense - it was a slight attempt
at humor. However, I do think that some people may take these postings
a little too seriously.

Rick Link
link@ssl.berkeley.edu

rmpinchback@crocus.waterloo.edu (Reid M. Pinchback) (08/12/88)

In article <13130@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>In article <63676@sun.uucp> sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) writes:
>>Recently, I upgraded my PC from MS-DOS 3.1 to 3.2.  Now when I type CONTRO-U
>>to kill a line or CONTROL-W to kill a word nothing happens.  I went through
>

>All you people at Sun posting help messages for computer related matters
>really instills great confidence in the end user of your systems.
>
>Absolutely great product advertising! Maybe you should post in rec.humor!
>
>Rick Link

    Wouldn't you rather know that the people at Sun are more interested
in finding a solution to a problem, than trying to ignore it and kludge
around it?  There is nothing wrong with asking questions.  That is how
we learn.  I'd rather THEY learn how to fix problems as much as possible
(hopefully before shipping a product), than that they leave it to US to
find the fixes.

     Reid M. Pinchback