[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 4.0 & Windows/386

merat@radix (Merat Bagha) (08/10/88)

I'm about to purchase a Princeton Ultrasynch VGA compatible monitor.
Anyone using this monitor or have any feedback on it?

How about the mail-order house: "Telemart Order Line" out of Phoenix, AZ?
They quoted the Ultrasynch @ $485.

Many thanks!

--
-- Merat Bagha

UUCP: ogcvax!omepd!radix!merat OR "radix!merat"@omepd.intel.com

Radix MicroSystems, Inc.	(503)690-1229
19545 NW von Neumann Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006

merat@radix (Merat Bagha) (08/10/88)

(Sorry about the incorrect subject on my previous message!)

To anyone who has DOS 4.0 & Windows/386 up and running (including our
friends at Microsoft):  Why does Windows/386 not run on DOS 4.0?

All I get is:

	Error:  Unsupported DOS Version.

Is there a fix or will we have to wait for another release of Windows/386?
By the way, Windows 2.03 (a.k.a /286) runs fine.

--

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (08/11/88)

In article <55@radix> merat@radix.UUCP (Merat Bagha) writes:

>To anyone who has DOS 4.0 & Windows/386 up and running (including our
>friends at Microsoft):  Why does Windows/386 not run on DOS 4.0?

PC WEEK (I think that was the pub) reports that there is a compatibility
problem with this combination; apparently there are several products which
barf at the sight of 4.0.

The article I read (wherever it was) had no indication of when usoft would
be able to resolve the problem.  Have you tried calling usoft's tech help
line?

jsf007@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Fintel) (08/12/88)

In article <38470@linus.UUCP> jcmorris@mbunix (Morris) writes:
>PC WEEK (I think that was the pub) reports that there is a compatibility
>problem with this combination; apparently there are several products which
>barf at the sight of 4.0.
>
>The article I read (wherever it was) had no indication of when usoft would
>be able to resolve the problem.  Have you tried calling usoft's tech help
>line?

I have.  They currently have no fixes.  They don't admit to knowing what the
problem is (one support person subtly tried to pin it in IBM).  From what I
can tell, it seems to be a major fire drill.  They have not been able to pin
down a date when they expect it to be fixed.

------

Steve Fintel
killer!jsf007

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (08/12/88)

In article <5179@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> jsf007@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Fintel) writes:
}In article <38470@linus.UUCP> jcmorris@mbunix (Morris) writes:
}>problem with this combination; apparently there are several products which
}>barf at the sight of 4.0.
}>
}
}I have.  They currently have no fixes.  They don't admit to knowing what the
}problem is (one support person subtly tried to pin it in IBM).  From what I

It may not BE "fixable".  The programs which barf at 4.0 may be checking the
DOS version and only proceeding if it is >= 2.0 and <= whatever version was
the highest tested (which would obviously be 3.x).
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.