[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PK compression software

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (08/13/88)

In article <962@lakesys.UUCP>, deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) writes:
}The following message was taken from EXEC-PC BBS
}in Shorewood, WI, and is from THE Phil Katz.
}
}==================================================
}
}c: IBM GNRL  #25669  08-10-88  21:45  (Read 90 times)
}f: PHIL KATZ
}t: JIM DUNNIGAN (Rcvd)
}s: R: R: WHAT ELSE?  Reply to #25640
}
}Jim,
}
}>>Aside from gaining a little speed and compression on PKPAK 3.61 . . .
}
}Well, hopefully more than just a little.  While I don't want
}to spill all my beans, but without the constraints of the
}.ARC format or the Ziv-Lempel implementations used in .ARC files,
}it is possible to do MUCH better than PKPAK 3.61.  Also, the

Sounds like Phil is planning to use the algorithm described in the August
1988 _Communications_of_the_ACM_ article "Application of Splay Trees to Data
Compression."  A modification of the basic algorithm matched or outperformed
Unix "compress" while using only 1/3 the data storage.
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (08/16/88)

>/* Written  9:27 pm  Aug 12, 1988 by deanr@lakesys.UUCP in hcx1:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "PK compression software" ---------- */
>
>The following message was taken from EXEC-PC BBS
>in Shorewood, WI, and is from THE Phil Katz.

>c: IBM GNRL  #25669  08-10-88  21:45  (Read 90 times)
>f: PHIL KATZ
>t: JIM DUNNIGAN (Rcvd)
>s: R: R: WHAT ELSE?  Reply to #25640
>
>Jim,
>  ... text deleted ...
>And yes, if you or anyone else has some "wish lists" for features
>that you'd like to see in the new software, now is the time!!

First of all, how do we give him suggestions? ... What I would like to see
implemented should be usefull enough for most people:

1) First and foremost, it would be nice if it could recognize the "official"
   .ARC format ... even if he is now moving on to bigger and better things.  I
   would hate to have to return to the "snail" during the transition period (OR
   BEING FORCED TO KEEP VARIOS REVS OF PKprograms !).

2) The directory structure needs (as well as ALL file parameters) to be
   included with the file in "reduced" form.  This implies that the new package
   can include lower branches of the particular directory tree is being saved
   (possibly as an option ... this would be prefferable to the "ZOO" method
   requiring the seperate program, though the "stuff" program has been useful
   on its own).
3) I find myself having to make multiple passes at file "reduction" so that I
   can fit the result onto a single floppy (360k in my case).  It would be nice
   if I could flag the output as being targeted for a medium of a certain size
   and obtain a group of files (that know about each other) that I can easily
   move onto floppies without concern.

Leo Hinds ...

roth@mrsvr.UUCP (The Unknown Programmer) (08/16/88)

> >/* Written  9:27 pm  Aug 12, 1988 by deanr@lakesys.UUCP in hcx1:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
> >/* ---------- "PK compression software" ---------- */
> >
> >The following message was taken from EXEC-PC BBS
> >in Shorewood, WI, and is from THE Phil Katz.
> >
> >==================================================
   ... text deleted ...
> >And yes, if you or anyone else has some "wish lists" for features
> >that you'd like to see in the new software, now is the time!!

Anyone wanting to make suggestions can send them to me
and I will forward them to Phil Katz. (Phil and I
moderate conferences on EXEC-PC BBS in Shorewood, WI.
Or, if you have an account on EXEC-PC, you can leave
a message for Phil directly.)

NOTE: This message was sent from my WORK address.
      Please try to respond to my PERSONAL address:

      deanr@lakesys.UUCP
      {rutgers, uwvax} uwmcsd1!lakesys!deanr

Dean Roth