[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More on DOS4.0

merat@radix (Merat Bagha) (08/15/88)

As a follow-up to my DOS4.0 & Windows/386 compatibility query:

I've heard rumors about a new Windows/386 release in the works farily soon.
I have not contacted Microsoft though.  Does anyone know the facts?

I like the new DOS shell (a al Presentation Manager & Windows) graphical
interface even though I don't use it much!  Typing is much faster!

As I formatted my 42MByte disk to be a single partition under DOS4.0, disk
utilities such as those from Norton's or Ontrack Computer Systems do not
work (due to the 16-bit FCB's).  Without them it is a bit of a challenge
to recover a deleted file, as was the case with me around 2:00 AM this
morning!  So, is there a disk utility program which supports DOS4.0?

--
-- Merat Bagha

UUCP: ogcvax!omepd!radix!merat OR "radix!merat"@omepd.intel.com

Radix MicroSystems, Inc.	(503)690-1229
19545 NW von Neumann Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (08/16/88)

In article <57@radix> merat@radix.UUCP (Merat Bagha) writes:
<
<As a follow-up to my DOS4.0 & Windows/386 compatibility query:
<
<I've heard rumors about a new Windows/386 release in the works farily soon.
<I have not contacted Microsoft though.  Does anyone know the facts?

Not a rumor.  Microsoft has released Windows2.1 and Windows386 2.1.  I
received my upgrade notice yesterday.

<As I formatted my 42MByte disk to be a single partition under DOS4.0, disk
<utilities such as those from Norton's or Ontrack Computer Systems do not
<work (due to the 16-bit FCB's).  Without them it is a bit of a challenge
<to recover a deleted file, as was the case with me around 2:00 AM this
<morning!  So, is there a disk utility program which supports DOS4.0?

When Microsoft/Compaq came out with MS-DOS 3.31, Norton had the same problem.
They upgraded the 4.0 Utilities package to handle the problem and will be
releasing the fix for PC-DOS 4.0 shortly.  If you have Norton's Utilities
4.0, give them a call to find out the release date.  Since I don't have
PC-DOS 4.0 and don't plan on getting it, I am not in a hurry to update.
--
	       harvard-\		 att--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (08/17/88)

In article <3029@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
> In article <57@radix> merat@radix.UUCP (Merat Bagha) writes:
> <
> <As a follow-up to my DOS4.0 & Windows/386 compatibility query:
> <
> <I've heard rumors about a new Windows/386 release in the works farily soon.
> <I have not contacted Microsoft though.  Does anyone know the facts?
>
> Not a rumor.  Microsoft has released Windows2.1 and Windows386 2.1.  I
> received my upgrade notice yesterday.
>
> --
> Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

Actually, the Windows 2.1 version predates DOS 4.0 -- the versions of
Windows that work with DOS 4.0 (if any) will be 2.2 or later and I have
not seen any comment from Microsoft (Hey, Lee, where are you!) about when
the accomodation will be released [That is not an upgrade! (:^)].

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx
   or
73317,3662 (for the cryptic Compuservers)