[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Nice way for 5 PCs to share a printer?

davidg@janus.berkeley.edu (David Gaertner) (08/16/88)

Does anybody know of a nice, simple, and inexpensive way to hook 5 PCs
to a laser printer?  I thought of TOPS using just NetPrint, but there
must be a cheaper solution.  The computers are in different offices, so
something that uses the parallel ports probably wouldn't do it.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

David Gaertner

    /              /		  	David Gaertner
 __/ __. , __o  __/ 	...ucbvax!janus!davidg, davidg@janus.berkeley.edu
(_/_(_/|_\/ <__(_/_  "Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (08/18/88)

In article <25650@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, davidg@janus.berkeley.edu (David Gaertner) writes:
> Does anybody know of a nice, simple, and inexpensive way to hook 5 PCs
> to a laser printer?  I thought of TOPS using just NetPrint, but there
> must be a cheaper solution.  The computers are in different offices, so
> something that uses the parallel ports probably wouldn't do it.
>
> David Gaertner

It's crude, but it's also cheap and it works.  Get a buffer box with 5
input serial ports, or two of the 4 input buffer boxes feeding into a
third buffer box.

Clayton E. Cramer