[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IRQ numbers

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (08/17/88)

lpt2 uses IRQ5 traditionally.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) (08/17/88)

In article <16800339@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>lpt2 uses IRQ5 traditionally.

DO NOT USE IRQ5 if you have an IBM-XT class machine.  The IBM/XEBEC fixed-
disk adapter uses IRQ5.  On XT class machines there is only one IRQ line
dedicated for use with any/all parallel printers - IRQ7.

--
Dwight W. Gordon                                 |       913-532-5600        |
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department     |   dwgordon@ksuvm.bitnet   |

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (08/18/88)

In article <394@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) writes:

> DO NOT USE IRQ5 if you have an IBM-XT class machine.  The IBM/XEBEC fixed-
> disk adapter uses IRQ5.  On XT class machines there is only one IRQ line
> dedicated for use with any/all parallel printers - IRQ7.
>
> --
> Dwight W. Gordon                                 |       913-532-5600

Ah, HA!  So, on an XT (true blue), how do I configure a QUADBOARD
(like AST 6pak), to use LPT2: as it's parallel port, without using
IRQ5?
That's what I need to do.  It currently gives me a No such device
error.

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

darrellm@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) (08/19/88)

>lpt2 uses IRQ5 traditionally.
>
>			Mike Berger

This is true only for AT type machines.
Original PC's and XT's (pronounced 8088/86) use IRQ 5
for hard drives and provided no IRQ for LPT 2.

Some of the early LPT ports out there have implemented the LPT IRQ
wrong anyway. The problem is associated with the differences in an
'edge triggered' mode and  a 'level triggered' mode.

AST Superpak software has a print spooler that will really
use the LPT IRQ when specified. (If the LPT port you use has
implemented IRQs in the correct way.

Much of the spooler software available uses the timer IRQ to
periodically check the LPT port for non-BUSY condition.

dsm.

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (08/19/88)

In article <394@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.UUCP (Dwight Gordon) writes:
>In article <16800339@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
>>lpt2 uses IRQ5 traditionally.
>DO NOT USE IRQ5 if you have an IBM-XT class machine.  The IBM/XEBEC fixed-
>disk adapter uses IRQ5.  On XT class machines there is only one IRQ line
>dedicated for use with any/all parallel printers - IRQ7.

With the amount of discussion this one IRQ has has raised, it highlights
a need.  Does anyone have a comprehensive list of IRQ usage, or at least a
basic tutorial on which IRQs the machines use with standard (IBM or IBM-
emulating) hardware?  Such a list would be vary useful to me.  Thanks...
--
George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co., PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102  ph:918-660-4066

johne@hpvcla.HP.COM (John Eaton) (08/20/88)

<
<>
<>lpt2 uses IRQ5 traditionally.
<>
< On XT class machines there is only one IRQ line dedicated for use with any
< /all parallel printers - IRQ7.
----------
Does anyone know of any software that actually uses interrupts for the
parallel printers? I know the line is there but does any software
require it?

John Eaton
!hpvcla!johne

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (08/20/88)

In article <Aug.18.12.04.33.1988.18503@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
<In article <394@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) writes:
<
<> DO NOT USE IRQ5 if you have an IBM-XT class machine.  The IBM/XEBEC fixed-
<> disk adapter uses IRQ5.  On XT class machines there is only one IRQ line
<> dedicated for use with any/all parallel printers - IRQ7.
<>
<> --
<> Dwight W. Gordon                                 |       913-532-5600
<
<Ah, HA!  So, on an XT (true blue), how do I configure a QUADBOARD
<(like AST 6pak), to use LPT2: as it's parallel port, without using
<IRQ5?
<That's what I need to do.  It currently gives me a No such device
<error.

You can't get to LPT2: unless you have an LPT1:.  What the good smart boards
do is map their LPT1: to LPT2:.  This also depends on certain things.  So,
look at your manual, it normally tells you how to configure for LPT2: if
there is already a LPT1: in the system.
--
	       harvard-\		 att--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown