[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Source for AT compatibles in London, England?

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/21/88)

Anyone knowledgable of computer stores and sources in London, England:

I have a (not very computer-literate) associate in London whom I need to
get onto an AT-compatible with an EGA card and monochrome monitor, both
for word processing (MS-Word with custom fonts, hence the EGA card) and
for E-Mail (Mercury Communications MercuryLink).

Can someone send me (by e-mail) information on good computer shops or similar
sources of reasonably-priced AT-compatibles, as well as some idea what the
following combination would/should cost in England:

AT compatible with 1 5.25" High Density drive and 1 3.5" Double Density (720K)
drive, as well as a 40MB hard disk; 640K RAM; EGA-compatible display adapter;
Amber TTL monochrome monitor; I/O card with 2 serial and one parallel ports.

This combination would cost about $1100-1300 here (650-800 Pounds). I realize
it will be more in England -- but how much?

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (08/22/88)

In article <179@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>AT compatible with 1 5.25" High Density drive and 1 3.5" Double Density (720K)
>drive, as well as a 40MB hard disk; 640K RAM; EGA-compatible display adapter;
>Amber TTL monochrome monitor; I/O card with 2 serial and one parallel ports.
>
>This combination would cost about $1100-1300 here (650-800 Pounds). I realize
>it will be more in England -- but how much?

Where do you find prices like this in the US?
Here in the Bay Area the best advertised prices for such system is just under
$1800.