[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Memory > 640K

porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) (08/13/88)

I'm a bit unfamiliar with extended/expanded memory.
Can anyone help me?

I would like to use more than 640K in my turbo XT.
I have chips--if I get a board, will I be in business?
What kind of software will I need to get DOS to recognize
(or pretend to recognize) the memory above 640K?
Thanks for your help...

Adam L. Porter
272 Hamilton St. #96
New Brunswick, NJ  08901
(201) 247-6723

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (08/14/88)

On an XT, you can only get exPANded memory. This memory is never for
general DOS usage. Only programs specifically designed to, can use it.

Lotus 1-2-3 is the best exapble I can think of.

So, only buy the board if you are going to use software that can take
advantage of it.

Richard

rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) (08/16/88)

In article <18847@neabbs.UUCP> richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
>On an XT, you can only get exPANded memory. This memory is never for
>general DOS usage. Only programs specifically designed to, can use it.
>So, only buy the board if you are going to use software that can take
>advantage of it.

It is also usable as a RAM disk which is very nice for quick access of
often used data and programs.

spectre@cisunx.UUCP (Robert Sillett) (08/16/88)

In article <3022@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <Aug.12.15.05.33.1988.17656@topaz.rutgers.edu> porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) writes:
>
>Now, the extended memory can be turned into expanded memory (the LIM 3.2
>kind).  DOS again doesn't use it, but some other programs can, like 1-2-3.
>
>If you want to use it for all your DOS programs, never mind, it won't.

With an 8086/8088 and EEMS, you can use DESQview to access up to 8MB
of memory.  You can also multitask.

--
Robert L. Sillett, Jr.                      spectre@cisunx
University of Pittsburgh                    spectre@pittvms.BITNET

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/16/88)

RYBS electronics sells a 'hi-card' which can give DOS another 64k
of memory, for a total of 704k...  (they include the necessary driver).

and...  they're in colorado somewhere.  hope that helps...

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (08/17/88)

In article <11809@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:
<In article <3022@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
<>In article <Aug.12.15.05.33.1988.17656@topaz.rutgers.edu> porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) writes:
<>
<>Now, the extended memory can be turned into expanded memory (the LIM 3.2
<>kind).  DOS again doesn't use it, but some other programs can, like 1-2-3.
<>
<>If you want to use it for all your DOS programs, never mind, it won't.
<
<
<With an 8086/8088 and EEMS, you can use DESQview to access up to 8MB
<of memory.  You can also multitask.

Yes, but!  DOS still can't work in anything larger than 640K.  Even
running DesqView you don't get a full 640K for each partition.  That
is one reason why I went from 2.01 DesqView to VM386.  Unfortunately,
VM386 won't work on a 8088/86 machine, only a 80386.

I understood the original poster to want DOS to get at more than 640K.
DOS never will.  That is being left to the OS/2 world.  I'm assuming
that the original poster wants DOS to be able to give programs more
memory to work in, say like a spreadsheet (I know Lotus supports EMS),
or maybe a database that is very large, or any other program that wants
lots of memory space to hold the information in RAM.  If this is not the
case, then DesqView would be a way to go.
--
	       harvard-\		 att--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (08/17/88)

In article <11809@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:
>In article <3022@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>>In article <Aug.12.15.05.33.1988.17656@topaz.rutgers.edu> porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) writes:
>>
>>Now, the extended memory can be turned into expanded memory (the LIM 3.2
How does one do this?  Thanks.

Brendan

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (08/22/88)

[ Extenden to expanded memory ]

Well, with expanded memory there is a page of memory (mostly 64K) that
is paged into a certain location (below 1MB) with system calls. So to
use extended memory as expanded memory, you only need a driver which
switches do protected mode and copies 64K blocks from and to the
extended memory with the specified system calls.

Most RAM board manufacturers supply such a driver with their boards.

Richard