[comp.sys.ibm.pc] link two physical drives together

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (08/17/88)

Golden Bow Systems has a product, Vfeature Deluxe, which does that.
It also permits you to use large disk partitions under MS-DOS 2.0
and later, breaking the 32 megabyte barrier.  It was around $ 100
when I purchased it.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

jimw@microsoft.UUCP (Jim Walsh) (08/19/88)

In article <16800340@clio>, berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
> Golden Bow Systems has a product, Vfeature Deluxe, which does that.
> It also permits you to use large disk partitions under MS-DOS 2.0
> and later, breaking the 32 megabyte barrier.  It was around $ 100
> when I purchased it.

   The DOS JOIN command will let you 'attach' a second disk as a logical
subdirectory.

   JOIN D: C:\drived

   Will create a 'logical' directory c:\drived that is actually the physical
drive D:.  Drive D: can still be accessed directly.

johne@hpvcla.HP.COM (John Eaton) (08/21/88)

<<<<<
< Sure!  Use the DOS JOIN command:
<  DOS will now treat the two drives as one logical drive.
Not quite. While I have found JOIN to be quite useful at times it does not
completely join the two drives. Each drive maintains it own FAT and you can
still run out of space on one drive even if the other has free space.

John Eaton
!hpvcla!johne

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (08/22/88)

In article <4740019@hpvcla.HP.COM> johne@hpvcla.HP.COM (John Eaton) writes:
><<<<<
>< Sure!  Use the DOS JOIN command:
><  DOS will now treat the two drives as one logical drive.
>Not quite. While I have found JOIN to be quite useful at times it does not
>completely join the two drives. Each drive maintains it own FAT and you can
>still run out of space on one drive even if the other has free space.

Yep.

So get SpeedStor V5.x, which includes a driver for a thing called a
"SPAN-DOS" disk, which is a multiple-volume fixed disk driver.

Allows up to 512MB on one partition, and spanning two drives.  Rather neat,
but it does have one drawback:

	If either drive dies, all contents of the "Spanned" partition are gone.

Be careful, and keep good backups.  If you really need this kind of space
then it will work, and do the job quite well.

Disclaimer: We sell the product, as well as use it in-house.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"