[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info on PC math package/library with physics orientation

mike@ednor.UUCP (Mike Jones) (08/22/88)

A friend of mine is looking for a library of functions or a package to do the
kind of higher-level math that physicists do (he wasn't too specifi).  It
must run on an IBM-PC with 640 Kbytes of memory.  He mentioned one package
called MathLab.  Any info on it or similiar packages, especially ones in the
public domain, would be greatly appreciated.  As I don't regularly read these
news groups, please send responses via e-mail.

		Mike Jones

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (08/23/88)

In article <619@ednor.UUCP> mike@ednor.UUCP (Mike Jones) writes:

>A friend of mine is looking for a library of functions or a package to do the
>kind of higher-level math that physicists do (he wasn't too specifi).  It
>must run on an IBM-PC with 640 Kbytes of memory.

I do theoretical space physics models on computers, and have taught a
3-rd year level course in numerical analysis to physics students.

The best book I can recommend is:
Numerical recipes - The art of scientific computing
by Press, Flannery, Teukolsky and Vetterling.
Cambridge Press, 1986.

The original book is in Fortran, with Pascal listings given in an appendix.
There is now a C version of the book.

There are about 200 routines, which are available in FORTRAN, Pascal, and C
versions on disk for $20. The book costs about $30 - $40. There is also
an 'Example Book' (users' guide) for about $20.

The routines are very good in both numerical techniques and in implementation.

Go for it!

Richard Link, Ph.D.
Space Sciences Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley
link@ssl.berkeley.edu

P.S. I am not connected with Cambridge Press, nor do I know any of the authors.

danny@wdl1.UUCP (Daniel Abramovitch) (08/23/88)

/ wdl1:comp.sys.ibm.pc / mike@ednor.UUCP (Mike Jones) /  7:07 pm  Aug 21, 1988 /