[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Garnering info on SUN 386i

pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul gilna) (08/11/88)

This is one of those boring "please compress your n years
of experience into a four line response" requests, so if
you can't hack it, `just say n'.

I Should like to hear ( directly please, less net clutter)
from anyone who is currently using a SUN 386i as  I am trying
to assess the merits of buying one as a small LAN server.
Bear in mind when deciding to reply that I shall probably
pester you with inane queries but hey, what's a net for?

Initially I am interested in how big an administrative chore
running one would appear to a UNIX novice.

cheers, paul gilna

--
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,   BITNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
Analogue: (312) 702-6971                VOICE:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (08/13/88)

[ Info wanted about Sun 386i ]

I hate to point out the obvious, but have your read the Byte review?
In short DOS programs worked well, easy install, windowing
environment, standard networking.

Unfortunately, NO attention was payed to available UNIX applications
(or should I say SunOs?)

The main reason for this posting: I am too very curious about this
machine, so please post your expereinces publicly.

Richard

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (08/23/88)

In article <18509@neabbs.UUCP> richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
|I hate to point out the obvious, but have your read the Byte review?
|In short DOS programs worked well, easy install, windowing
|environment, standard networking.
|
|Unfortunately, NO attention was payed to available UNIX applications
|(or should I say SunOs?)

This may be a bit late in the reply chain but I read the review.  The
reviewer was obviosly an MS-DOS person with little or no UNIX
knowledge.  He gave a good review of the MS-DOS emulation under
SunView but didn't seem to realize that the 386i is doing a lot more
than just running the emulator.  Maybe I'm being overcritical but I
thought they could have done a better job.

Along a similar line, check out John Dvorak's article in August PC
magazine concerning UNIX on PC-style machines.  I found the article
interesting in that he got an awful lot of facts wrong about the
history of UNIX and what it's meant for.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (08/24/88)

In article <24516@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>The
>reviewer was obviosly an MS-DOS person with little or no UNIX
>knowledge.

This, alas, is a common problem.  Many MS-DOS users seem to not realize
how narrow their horizons are.  I remember a review (in BYTE, I think)
of a microcomputer implementation of UNIX in which the reviewer
complained that when he gave a certain command it just hung up and
didn't do anything.  He failed to realize that a large number of UNIX
command, when invoked without arguments, will read from standard input
and thus quietly wait for you to type something.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi