[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1.2Mb floppy don't recognize diskchange, HELP!

bosse@eri-tin.ericsson.se (Bosse Sandholm) (08/22/88)

I am building my own pc-clone using far-east cards.
I have a problem with the floppy in 1.2Mb mode.
I have a TEAC 55GFV floppy and i have tried using 2 different  floppy controllercards and i get the same error with both cards.

I can't get the PC-AT to recognize that i have changed disk, if I give a dir
command and changes to a new disk and gives a new dir I get the list from the
first disk.

can anybody help me.

bosse@erix.ericsson.se
..!uunet!mcvax!enea!erix!bosse

spolsky@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Joel Spolsky) (08/23/88)

In article <1761@erix.ericsson.se> bosse@eri-tin.ericsson.se (Bosse Sandholm) writes:

>I can't get the PC-AT to recognize that i have changed disk, if I give a dir
>command and changes to a new disk and gives a new dir I get the list from the
>first disk.

(shot in the dark)

Sounds like it's reading from the cache and not the disk.
This happens if the software (DOS?) thinks that the floppy disk is
really a fixed disk and can't be changed. In DOS there is a command
FASTOPEN that means _never_ look at the physical media - maybe you
have something like this in an AUTOEXEC.BAT file?

Unix-like operating systems are even hairier, you have to explicitly
remount when you change the floppy.

Joel Spolsky

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (08/24/88)

[ Floppy doesn't recognize changed disks ]

I have such a wierd floppy drive too. When I press ctrl-C or
ctrl-BREAK, the floppy will recognise the new disk.

On my drive I can not switch to a high density floppy. To get the
drive to recognise it, I have to pretend formatting the floppy first.
Very annoying, but ah, it it just a test computer built from flaky
parts: like the original IBM 6 Mhz AT motherboard...

Richard

cww@ndmath.UUCP (Clarence W. Wilkerson) (08/24/88)

IOn my Toshiba, there is a jumper to activate the disk change feature.
Another way is to tie line 34 of the connection hi or lo ( don't
remember which way).
.

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (08/25/88)

In article <1761@erix.ericsson.se> bosse@eri-tin.ericsson.se (Bosse Sandholm) writes:
>I can't get the PC-AT to recognize that i have changed disk, if I give a dir
>command and changes to a new disk and gives a new dir I get the list from the
>first disk.

Check the door switch on the disk drive.  Some of the older 1.2 drives did
not have the switches and dos uses this to decide if it needs to re-read the
floppy.  If you are using a used drive you might not have the switch or it
might be bad.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217