[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info on 286's

ugchap@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Andrew Chaplin) (08/26/88)

  Someone asked for information on 386's.  Well, they're beyond my budget and
I'd like to know more about 286's.  I'd like to have this configuration: 1M of
RAM, 200W power supply, max clock speed of 12MHz (I don't need more than this
at the moment), hard drive, 1.2M floppy, hd/fd controller.  The monitor doesn't
matter, but I'd like an EGA package.  The only problem with this configuration
is that my limit is $1700.  Thanks in advance.

Andrew Chaplin
ugchap@cs.buffalo.edu
ugchap@sunybcs.bitnet

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (08/27/88)

regarding your request about pricing 286's...

try Computer Direct at 312-382-5050...  they seem to have good prices, but
their delivery time can be 3 weeks...

-----------------------------
 \   As Kurgan would say:    \             Vaprak@Cup.Portal.Com
  \                           \          Sun!Cup.Portal.Com!Vaprak
   \   There Can Be Only One!  \
    \___________________________\   ** The Highlander Should Have Died **

ericw@gemini.SGI.COM (Eric Williams) (08/27/88)

In article <867@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, ugchap@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Andrew Chaplin) writes:
> ...I'd like to know more about 286's...

From what I've seen, you'll have to pay a little more than $1700 for a 12MHz
AT with HD, 1.2M floppy, 1M RAM, EGA, but you'll be close (more like $2000).

Many places' have pretty similar prices, so shop around, these prices
are mostly just from one company.  I have no connection with [blah blah...]

I don't remember the name of the magazine that we looked in for ads
(one of the oversized newsprint weeklies like Info World or Electronic
Engineering Times) but it had several mail order companies with roughly
these prices:

from American Computer Systems in San Jose 408-432-1155:

12MHz AT with 512K RAM (0 wait state), monochrome graphics & monitor,
	non-enhanced keyboard, floppy controller & 360K drive, case, etc
$969	(basically a complete minimum system).  I have one and am happy
	with it. (we couldn't get their RLL HD board to work at 12MHz
	though)

Now, the extras that you wanted:

	and 20Meg HD.

========

I don't have any of the real info with ne, so those prices are only-as-good-
as-I-can-remember-providing-they-haven't-changed.

Eric Williams				uucp:  ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!ericw
					internet: ericw@sgi.com

In article <20510@sgi.SGI.COM>, ericw@gemini.SGI.COM (Eric Williams) writes:
> In article <867@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, ugchap@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Andrew Chaplin) writes:
>> ...I'd like to know more about 286's...

> Now, the extras that you wanted:

Here's where the tildes that I was using to show approximate prices screwed
me up.  I'll try again with tildes deleted....

> $969  Basic 12MHz Computer...

$360	MFM AT Hard disk controller (trade in the cheap floppy-only one)
	and 20Meg HD.

$400	EGA w/ controller instead of Monochrome (trade in)

$10	1.2M floppy instead of 360K (trade in)

$10	enhanced keyboard instead of non-enhanced--not necessary (trade in)

$250	512K ram (18*41256-80ns @ ~$14 each) [IC Express 800-892-8889]

========

$2000 total