[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Spinwrite work on ESDI disks?

teg@orc.olivetti.com (Tom Griner) (08/25/88)

I have a Micropolis 1355 with an adaptec ESDI controller.  Will spinwrite
be useful / effective with this combination?

Tom Griner    {decwrl, ucbvax, ...}!orc.olivetti.com!teg    frames 2 /dev/fb
TEG@Bionet-20.bio.net                  presto.ig.com!teg    flames 2 /dev/null
pqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpq
bdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbd

moss@ttidca.TTI.COM (Les Moss) (08/27/88)

I have Spinrite and it does not work on any disk with a buffered
controller (probably any controller with 1:1 interleave). Thus it
is not very useful for high performance disk systems. (My controller is a
WD1006RAH).
--
Les Moss
Citicorp TTI

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (08/27/88)

In article <3100@ttidca.TTI.COM> moss@ttidcb.tti.com (Les Moss) writes:
>I have Spinrite and it does not work on any disk with a buffered
>controller (probably any controller with 1:1 interleave). Thus it
>is not very useful for high performance disk systems. (My controller is a
>WD1006RAH).
>--
>Les Moss

Well, I have Spinrite, and an Adaptec 2322 controller running a Maxtor
ESDI drive. With tracks so big (18KB/track), every defect eats a lot of
space. We tried Spinrite, and it worked just fine. 1:1 interleave, buffered
controller and all (1MB/sec read data throughput). Spinrite eliminated
all but a couple of the marked defects. I'll report on whether any
problems show up over time.

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014