[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Deluxe Pain II Blues

arcarese@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (John C Arcarese) (08/23/88)

Problem with DPaint_II, using TecMar graphics board.  For some reason, when I
set it for VGA, the display craps out.  I've called both TecMar, and
EA, but got the runaround from both companies. 	When I talked to EA, they said
that the reason I had the problem when running the program in VGA mode,
(the screen goes blank and stays that way), is because DPaint_II bypasses the
bios, which is copied to the vga board, and directly accesses the registers on
the VGA board.
	Tecmar said that EA was 'sleezy' for doing that, because when they
bypass the system bios on the board, they are assuming a certain type of
monitor frequency, namely ibm ps/2 analog.  If, according to the tecmar
guy, they simply accessed the bios on the board, this would not only select
the right frequency, but would be less work than directly accessing the
registers on the board.  Can anyone out there offer an easy (or not so easy)
way to correct this, so that I can run DPaint_II on the TecMar VGA board.

Please respond via email.

Thanks in advance,
		John A.

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/23/88)

In article <756@galaxy>, arcarese@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (John C Arcarese) writes:
> Problem with DPaint_II, using TecMar graphics board.  For some reason, when I
> set it for VGA, the display craps out.  I've called both TecMar, and
> EA, but got the runaround from both companies. 	When I talked to EA, they said
> that the reason I had the problem when running the program in VGA mode,
> (the screen goes blank and stays that way), is because DPaint_II bypasses the
> bios, which is copied to the vga board, and directly accesses the registers on
> the VGA board.
> 	Tecmar said that EA was 'sleezy' for doing that, because when they

Have not used this Electronic Arts Program, but others I have used
with CGA are frequently incompatible with my Tall Tree Systems
memory card.  I have heard other reports of similar loose ends in
EA programs, sometimes related to their massive efforts to main-
tain copy protection.

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411, page beeper #550
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27705

markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) (08/26/88)

I've also encountered problems similar to that with both DPaint II and
the new EGA version of Starflight.  I have a Mouse Systems Mouse and a
Video 7 VEGA (EGA card).  DPaint II would run, but cursor movement using
the mouse was erratic.  EA said it had something to do with my EGA card and
my mouse together.  Their solution:  put my old CGA card back in.  My
solution:  I returned DPaint II to the dealer and got a refund, since EA
wouldn't take the program back.  "Not their problem" was their response.
Personally, I can understand that it is difficult for a company to test
every possible configuration of hardware, but I was a little miffed.  After
all, Video 7 and Mouse Systems are not small, insignificant companies.  To
make things worse, I received the upgrade of my copy of Starflight so that
it would run in 16-color mode on my EGA.  Well, it locks up when you try to
save the game.  After returning the disks to EA once, and trying a brand new
copy from a store (with results still the same), I wonder what they've done
to Starflight that makes it hate my Video 7 card.  I own a ton of games for
my PC, 80-90% of which support EGA graphics and run on my EGA card just fine.
Besides Starflight, I've only found one other game that wouldn't run on my
EGA card.  Even Bard's Tale runs on it!  Makes me wonder what they're doing
to some of these programs to make them so dependent on some particular pieces
of hardware, since a LOT of other programs have no problem.
--
---
  In real life: Mark E. Davidson       uflorida!novavax!proxftl!markd

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/27/88)

In article <628@proxftl.UUCP>, markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) writes:

I believe that Electronic Arts is famous for using hardware-dependent
copy protection, so that non-standard hardware causes their programs
to bomb.  I had problems with EA games in conjunction with my
JRAM3 (Tall Tree Systems) memory board.  If you can remove the
copy protection (with one of 'those' programs) or with the CopyIIPC
option board, you can probably run EA software better (don't know if it's
worth it or not).