[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Epson LQ-500 and NEC 2200 comparison

trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) (08/27/88)

A few weeks ago someone posted a request for information to compare
the Epson LQ-500 and the NEC 2200.  If there were any results it
would be nice if they were posted.

Thank you
--
Terry Raymond
Raytheon Submarine Signal Division; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x5597

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (08/27/88)

          A couple of weeks ago I posted an article requesting opinions  on
     the  performanceof the Epson LQ-500 and the NEC 2200 24-wire printers.
     I would like to thank people that responded, and pass the  information
     on to others in the net.

     From somers@mcnc.org:

          I've got the LQ500 at home.  It is slower than the LQ850 a friend
          of mine has, other than that seems to be the same print quality.

     From dorin@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU:

          I purchased a NEC P2200 about 3  mo.  ago  and  have  been  doing
          extensive  printing  with  it  since.  No problems.  The printing
          mechanism seems rugged and we have had zero paper jams.  It  will
          take single sheets w/o unloading tractor paper.  The single sheet
          feed works acceptably.  Some stuff is cheep  and  the  feed  knob
          came  off  in  my  hand  one day; it snaps back on and its no big
          deal.

          Don't be fooled by all the built in fonts.  In my opinion most of
          them are useless.  I am pleased with the LQ font and the pica and
          have used them exclusively.  All in all its a very  good  printer
          for the money.  I chose it over the epson and am pleased.

     From netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet:

          I have owned a NEC P2200 for 6 months now.  I am using  it  on  a
          Commodore Amiga 2000, but hopefully my comments will help.

          I generally like the printer.  I was initially concerned  by  the
          construction of the printer.  I don't think it will withstand a 6
          foot drop.  However, it has held up well, and I use  it  quite  a
          bit,  especially doing graphic dumps in hi res mode.  I don't use
          the built in fonts as much as I thought I  would,  preferring  to
          use  a wysiwyg wordprocessor that handles everything as bitmapped
          graphics.  It looks about as good (perhaps a little better)  than
          a  mac  with  an  imagewriter.  The sheet feed option has come in
          very handy for doing envelopes.  The tractor was frustrating  the
          first  time  I set it up, but I have the hang of it now.  Ribbons
          are still a little hard to find locally.  I  have  been  ordering
          them from a manufacturer, and they are actually better than NEC's
          ribbons, besides being cheaper.

          I still have a lot of respect for Espon printers.  It may require
          a little bit a searching, but you may be able to find a LQ800 for
          around $350.00 (it has been replaced by the LQ850). It is a  more
          ruggedly  built printer than either the LQ500 or the LQ800.  Just
          make sure you get the tractor feed when you buy it.  Look in Com-
          puter Shopper for places that may still be carrying it.

          You may also want to look  at  the  LQ850  or  Fujitsu's  24  pin
          printer.   I  can't  remember the model number, but Fujitsu makes
          very nice printers, and they have one in the $500.00 price range.
          It  also  has  a  color option available for $40.00, that is well
          worth it.

     From mtuxo!scmi@att.att.com:

          I have been using an LQ500 for about  three  months  now.   I  am
          highly  impressed  with  the  print quality, both Times Roman and
          Sans Serif in the LQ mode.  I have compared the  quality  with  a
          few  other  printers,  including the NEC2200 and I think LQ500 is
          far superior.

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/27/88)

In article <3613@rayssd.ray.com>, trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) writes:

> A few weeks ago someone posted a request for information to compare
> the Epson LQ-500 and the NEC 2200.  If there were any results it
> would be nice if they were posted.

I would also like to see a summary of the results.

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411, page beeper #550
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27705