[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need information on watchdog timers

subelman@ttidca.TTI.COM (Ed Subelman) (08/25/88)

I have an AT based system that should operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
It sometimes crashes (because of heat, I suspect) and I am looking for some
hardware device that will automatically reboot the system if there is a crash.
My idea is to build a card that has a timer and can be accessed via an
I/O port by the software. If the port is not accessed in N seconds, it
reboots the machine by grounding the "power good" signal.
Does anyone know if a device of this type is available commercially?
Any reference would be appreciated.
--
Ed Subelman			subelman@ttidca.TTI.COM
Citicorp(+)TTI			{csun|philabs|psivax}!ttidca!subelman

rlb@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) (08/28/88)

In article <3090@ttidca.TTI.COM> subelman@ttidca.tti.com (Ed Subelman) writes:
>I have an AT based system that should operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
>It sometimes crashes (because of heat, I suspect) and I am looking for some
>hardware device that will automatically reboot the system if there is a crash.
>My idea is to build a card that has a timer and can be accessed via an
>I/O port by the software. If the port is not accessed in N seconds, it
>reboots the machine by grounding the "power good" signal.
>Does anyone know if a device of this type is available commercially?
>Any reference would be appreciated.

I recently saw an ad in the Sept. 1988 issue of Computer SHopper that
described just such a device. (page 556)  It is called a "CPU Activity
Watchdog".  Price: 129.95

The ad says that it works with any computer that has a remote reset
switch and an RS-232 port.  Apparently, their software periodically
strobes the serial port to reset a hardware timer.  If the watchdog
timer expires, then it closes the reset switch to cause a reboot.

It is available from:
		VSSI
		One Technology Center
		Mannford, OK  74044
		(910) 865-1000

If you are a proficient hardware & software hacker,  you might be
able to build a similar device using a 555 timer.  Radio Shack has
a 555 timer project book that has a circuit in it which might be
adapted for this purpose. (catalog # 276-5010 pg. 9)
The circuit is basically a monostable circuit that can be adjusted
for various time delay periods.  In the diagram, if you replace
switch S1 with a 12 volt relay, you could use the serial port to
periodically toggle the DSR (or DTR) line to apply power to the
relay, thereby, reseting the 555 timer.  If the timer is not reset
within the time period, then, the 555 would close another relay
which is connected to your PC reset switch.  This circuit would, of
course, require a TSR program to drive the serial port.
The cost to build this should be under $10 assuming that you
have an extra serial port available.

I realize this is a VERY rough description, but, I hope it is of
some help to you.  If you want, I may be able to give you some
more specifics on the hardware, but, I can't guarantee that it
will work without some tweaking and experimenting.

		Bob Bailey