[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using cheap batteries in AT

jerryp@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) (08/29/88)

In article <11538@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> You can get an adaptor which will allow you to use normal cheap
> batteries for this, but I can't find the brand name without powering
> down the box I'm on. First cost is about $25, and after that it uses
> flashlight batteries. Many clones did it right the first time.

I've been hoping that someone would post an answer about this.  Seems like a
great idea.  I used to work in a camera shop, and some camera batteries had a
*huge* markup.  I bet the computer batteries are the same.

Does anyone know where to get one of these adapters for using standard
(AA or whatever) batteries in an AT?  Thanks...

--Jerry Peek, Northeast Parallel Architectures Center, Syracuse, NY
  jerryp@cmx.npac.syr.edu
  +1 315 443-1722

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (08/29/88)

<
<Does anyone know where to get one of these adapters for using standard
<(AA or whatever) batteries in an AT?  Thanks...

There is a very cheap solution to this problem, for ATs which connect to an
off-board battery.  Go to radio shack and get a 4-AA cell battery holder
(under $2), and go do a discount store and buy 4 AA Alkaline batteries ($3).
Cut the wire lead from the old battery off at the battery end, and solder it
to the battery holder.  Tape the battery pack into the cabinet, plug it in,
and you are off and running for $5.  (This has been tested in a Genuine IBM,
but, of course, any modifications you make are at your own risk!)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM
Standard Disclaimers Apply.