[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Yet another Hard Disk question/problem

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (08/27/88)

Sorry, but yet *another* question about a hard disk..(and no, I
don't think that we need a separate newsgroup :-)

	I recently got a Miniscribe 3650, 40 meg drive from CompuAdd.
I installed it in my computer today, and boy, is it loud!!!  I have
a Seagate in one of my PC's and it isn't much louder than the fan
(which may be more of a comment on the fan...) but the Miniscribe sounds
like its ready to take off!!  It starts up with a loud "ca-chunking"
noise and then revs up before quieting down... a little... but not much.

Is this drive okay? Do all Miniscribes sound this loud???  I'm thinking
of sending it back and getting something quiter even if I have to
spend more or get less storage.  Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Mark Ritchie
markxx@garnet.Berkeley.EDU

hedrick@aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (08/28/88)

Mark Mitchie asks whether it's normal for the Miniscribe 3650 to make
lots of noise.  I've got a Miniscribe 3650 in a Leading Edge D2, on a
WD controller.  It sounds like a car that's stripping its gears.  It's
loud enough that I'm reluctant to reboot my machine after midnight,
for fear of disturbing the neighbors.  It happens at times which on a
real machine would be when the system is doing a bus init, and lasts
for at least 5 sec.  I've assumed it's doing a recal.  Depending upon
the operating system (I use DOS, Minix, and Microport), it happens
between one and three times as the system is coming up. I can't
imagine any disk drive doing something that obnoxious without causing
internal damage, but the drive has been in operation for several
months with no problems.  My machine is a bit on the noisy side during
normal operation also, but I had assumed that was the fan.  Might be
the drive.  I don't regard it as obnoxious.  I'm actually reasonably
please with the drive.

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (08/29/88)

regarding the miniscribe 3650:

I use one on my bbs and it also makes loud noise sometimes, but it has
performed with no probs since i got it in January.

-----------------------------
 \   As Kurgan would say:    \             Vaprak@Cup.Portal.Com
  \                           \          Sun!Cup.Portal.Com!Vaprak
   \   There Can Be Only One!  \
    \___________________________\   ** The Highlander Should Have Died **

Sorceress@cup.portal.com (08/29/88)

I have had a Miniscribe 6053 for 10 months now. At first, I too was worried
about the noise they make, but you get used to it. It certainly does not seem
to affect the performance of the device.

tissot@nicmad.UUCP (Kevin Tissot) (08/30/88)

In article <13648@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
> [...]
> 	I recently got a Miniscribe 3650, 40 meg drive from CompuAdd.
> [...]
>	 Is this drive okay? Do all Miniscribes sound this loud???
> [...]

 Miniscribe 3650's are loud and slow but reliable. The media is so good
that RLL encoding can be used with them, although this is not guaranteed
by Miniscribe. I have been using one for 3 months now with an Adaptec
2732A RLL controller with no problems. We also supply these in one of
our products with great success. There was a problem with units manufactured
before January 1988 which would cause the stepper motor arm to come loose,
but this problem was repairable without loss of data and has been fixed
in units manufactured after January 1988 (contact Miniscribe if you
need the repair procedure -- the symptom is error code 'A' hex flashed
on the front LED). In summary, put up with the noise and you will have
an inexpensive, reliable drive.

Kevin Tissot                     {ucbvax,harvard,rutgers}!uwvax!nicmad!tissot
--------------------->           {att,decvax,rolls}!nicmad!tissot